The worst band ever

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gary.newelluk, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That is correct :D

2. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Ironically most young "metalheads" I see today who listen to the likes of Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, and 'extreme metal' in general tend to fall into the camp of nihilistic, wrist slitting, emos.

I'm sure not all metal today has this 'vibe' (I myself wouldn't know because I listen mainly to metal from the 80s/early 90s and before - like Iron Maiden, Priest, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Megadeth, Dokken, Ratt, Metallica, Pantera, Cinderella, Skid Row, Aerosmith and others).

Metal may have always had something of an "outcast" chic, but in the past metal was associated with more of an outlaw, rebel aesthetic.

While today it's idea of "rebellion" has been watered down into the same camp as the typical emo/goth/social outcast subcultures; something for a bunch of nihilistic, suburban, virginal, millenials to "identify" with in high school just for the sake of negative attention.

Any idea why this is? My only thoughts are that it dates back to the "grunge" shit of the 90s and the entire "alternative rock" schtick which followed, which likely had a big influence on metal as well. The lyrics in a lot of extreme metal are of the same garden variety content as the grunge/pop punk schmaltz too - except we just have some guy screaming or growling about how much he hates himself because his girlfriend dumped him instead of singing about it in a high pitched nasally voice. Heavy metal from the 80's dressed like queens sure - most people in the 80's dressed gay as fuck. That said, 80's metal bands were the epitome of Alpha Male. Not giving a fuck, making tons of money, partying and doing whatever they wanted, and fucking tons of girls all the time. I'm not sure if we'll ever see a time for metal like we saw in the 80's/early 90s.

3. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

In 80's/early 90's metal was as bigger than any other type of popular mainstream music, like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, radio bullshit, etc. Its hard for people to comprehend that, if you didn't grow up in it. I graduated high school in 1983. I am comparing this to when Ozzy, Metallica, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Megadeth, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Poison, Slaughter etc were bigger in the 80's/early 90's than most mainstream musical acts today. That was really the heyday of metal. Lita Ford was bigger than most pop groups you hear today.

4. How totally rebellious, right? Being the epitome of the alpha male. That's why grunge kicked it in its ass. Because it was real rebellion.

We are currently seeing the same thing as what happened in the 80s. The music isn't exactly the same, but its every bit as soulless and vapid as the metal of the 80s. Instead of Poison we've got Nickelback. But it's the same corporate cock sucking alpha male mentality. I'm surprised you aren't enjoying it, Sinead. You don't even like Kid Rock? All he sings about is getting rich and having fun and fucking girls.

I always found metalheads kind of pathetic. It's usually poor trailer trash. It just amazes me that they have these big dreams of being big rich somebodies that get all the girls. Though...I guess they do end up impregnating tons of sluts and having illegitimate children. I don't think they know how to identify with music on a personal level between artist and musician like you get with punk and its ancestor, grunge. They just want an epic soundtrack to their trashy lives, maybe as a form of escapism, I don't know.

5. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Wtf @neonspectraltoast ? So now my taste in music makes me pathetic trailer trash?
    I think people like grunge are punk because it’s simple. They can’t handle the complexity of good metal.

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Hahaha
    I do see your point.
    Delivery is a little over the top, but your point is made.

7. It isn't complex. It's musical masturbation. You practice moving your fingers really fast, just so that you can have the appearance of knowing your way around the instrument. But musically? It's GARBAGE. No one is going to be listening to this crap in two hundred years, because it speaks to nothing. It's just a gay ass power trip for people who have nothing of substance to offer. Having substance? That's complexity on a level that metal musicians will never be able to comprehend and never be able to copy. The great thing about metal is that anybody can copy it. They get all pissy about grunge and punk because they can't understand how something seemingly so simple is actually the most elegant thing.

Listening to metal doesn't make you pathetic trailer trash. The difference between punks and metalheads I guess is that punk rockers aren't striving to be rich rock stars who get laid all the time. That's what makes metalheads pathetic in my eyes.

8. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

9. Well I got through a whole five seconds of that song when I realized it was utter shit.

Why do people think nowadays if you play like, five notes with an orchestra that you're some kind of composer? People in the 1700s would have used the music sheets of this to wipe their asses with.

Really, though, I always wonder what it would be like if J.S. Bach or Beethoven arrived in the 21st century and heard this crap and watched as everyone drooled all over it. Would they just kill themselves, or...?

10. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Well @neonspectraltoast thanks for confirmation that you are just a pathetic troll. Lol. Had me there for a second.

11. Go take your CD and cry to your mammy.

12. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Grunge turned the 90s into a musical wasteland. Music was great before Nirvana came along. I remember going to a party in February 1993 and they are playing " smells like teen spirit" on fucking repeat. It was fucking overplayed to death. You couldn't fucking escape it. Grunge music fucking ruined Rock and Metal as far as i am concerned.

13. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

NIRVANA RUINED MUSIC PERSONALLY AND CULTURALLY!!!!

14. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Sorry, I can’t. Unlike you, I’m not in my mommas basement.
    How sad and empty your life must be to make nasty comments on a forum. I’m sorry for you.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest

16. parua

parua Members

Stryper. Nothing but gimmick and pandering

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nine Inch Nails
    Manowar

18. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

Nirvana was shit just like most of grunge. The 90s became an angry time, and many of those grungies died of heroin overdoses. Go to a bar today and what do you hear? Poison, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue etc. Party songs. You won't be hearing Nirvana covers. And everyone wore flannels and wallowed in self pity back then. Talk about ridiculous. What a bunch of retards and tools. Grunge killed melodic rock and then after that the combination of rap, hip-hop, dance music and R&B dominance has all but killed melodic rock. Now popular music is rhythm based instead of melody based. I''ll stick with the hooks and melodies any day! I will take my 70s 80s early 90s heavy metal, melodic rock and guitar solos over grunge crap every time.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ozzy Osbourne.
    Black Sabbath.

20. Do shut up, Sinead.