the woods

Discussion in 'Washington (State)' started by benji the hippie, Jan 11, 2010.

1. benji the hippie

benji the hippie Member

im thinking about leaving society completely and moving into the woods. sometime around spring so i can begin planting crops to sustain life throughout the winter. i just want to go to some remote location in the middle of a beautiful forest. and just live peacefully. build my own house or houses. is anyone down to do this? or have any suggestions where would be a great place? trying to find somewhere that doesnt have an extreme winter. and hopefully by a lake or stream or river.

2. Barefootsun

Barefootsun Member

what survival experience do you have ?

3. benji the hippie

benji the hippie Member

idk if i was stranded in the forest i know i could survive but ive already recognized the fact that i need to learn more before i go so im going to live with some people on blewitt pass and learn from them first.

4. ymail.combubbasgrrl

ymail.combubbasgrrl Member

check out the southwest washington northwest oregon area. Beautiful, and mild winters excellent fish and game with a laarge variety of naturally occuring herbs and fungii berries etc, and the ground is fertile ready to be cultivated and with all the rain natural irrigation. I am from that area and know of no place more suited to living off the land, and no plac e more beautiful to call home

5. LeeLooD

LeeLooD Member

Well I think that's a wonderful idea. My husband has a country house in a very remote place but it also has 10-20 minute access to small grocery shops and stuff so its perfect.
    We plan on moving there sometime in the future.
    Sorry for not being able to tell you a place but we live outside the united states and you're probably looking for a place within your territories. right?

6. blkrosesoftwilight

blkrosesoftwilight Member

i understand how you feel about this. i figure if i walk out into the wilderness with nothing then nobody can take it from me. i live at the bottom of squak mountain in issaquah right now, and just by trying to clear out the back yard i know this is no place to settle. the ground is to rocky and nearly impossible to start gardening.

i would just advise that you when you find an area deffinately check out the rock to soil ratio in that area.

good luck

7. lovesthesunrise

lovesthesunrise Guest

You won't grow enough food or anything else to get you through the winter if you start in the fall. Growing anything in the woods cuts down your sun hours dramatically and don't forget to plant 4 times more than you need because the deer will love it.

8. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

washington + woods = shiny twilight vampires

I would say watch out because they might want to suck your blood, but instead i'll suggest you simply avoid them because they might try and talk to you or something. They moan for ages.

9. mmj10

mmj10 Guest

read "the treasures of simple living". I want the same thing in life, that book has been of tremendous help and inspiration.

10. 7point65

7point65 Banned

Google Bradford Angier, author. One of his books, How to Stay Alive in the Woods would be a good primer for you to memorize. It is chock full of the skills you need. :2thumbsup:The Foxfire books...get the one on log Cabin Building, hog dressing and other affairs of plain living. It also covers moonshinin'.

It's good you have some folks in Blewett Pass to learn from. If you can you should get some work and save all you can to give you a grubstake for when you go try your Grizzly Adams/Robinson Crusoe adventure.

Since it sounds as tho you would be squatting (unless you file a mining claim) you might want to build a cabin/shelter in a stealthy fashion. Perhaps build a Soddie. Excavate into the side of a hill and use cordwood/post and beam construction. Look into Mike Oeliers $50 and Up Underground House Book, Mole Publishing, Bonners Ferry Idaho.

Meantime look at stout canvas Wall Tents in the 8x10, 8x12 sizes. Old Army surplus GP tents might be too big and they're quite heavy but they are olive drab and blend right in. Or a couple camo nets over a leanto. For my money a wall tent would be perfect for your needs. On the otherhand you could winter nicely in a tipi if you or someone with you were experienced in tipi living.
    You will need either a Stihl or Husky chainsaw. Along with splitting maul, axe, hatchet or tomahawk, shovels, rake, bar, rope, files/extra bar&chain/bar oil/gloves, Hoedad, block and tackle and spud.
    Because son you will need a shitload of dry firewood.

I think you have NO CLUE what you're doing but that's how we learn.
    Good luck. You're gonna need a convoys worth.

11. bluegypsyrain

bluegypsyrain Member

Love Blewitt Pass...it's beautiful, but watch out for bees/yellow jackets/hornets, bears, etc. Also love Issaquah, but way too damp for my taste--also watch out for cougars there.

I've heard the White Salmon (WA) area is good for hippies :) Can't say first-hand, tho.

Good luck, my friends; I envy you! Living with father-in-law right now, and looking forward to the time when I can find the perfect place in New Mexico (possibly Santa Fe?)

Peace, Love, & Happiness...

12. OddApple

OddApple Member

I am in North Central Arkansas about an hour south of branson mo and what people say about how hard it is are not lying - I am about as "Mark Trail" as you can get needing very little to survive and able to make a lot more than butter and beer.
    I only say all that to totally encourage you and to suggest that you spend some time on or in a more established wilderness site or community and learn as you grow into it kind of thing before you just take off and risk any one of the "999 ways hillbillies die and no one ever knows" all on your own. :)
    If you spent a year in these woods, you would already be a formiddable survivor with a serious edge, but I'd say you better at least spend two or three full seasons so you can handle each one and reap all each has to offer.
    Ya can't fight nature nearly as well as ya can roll with it baby! :)
    Absolutely Best Wishes!

13. VioletJourney

VioletJourney Member

Lynx Shepard does this... she lives in Twisp, WA (about 4 hours from Seattle) and lives year-round in a yurt. She does wilderness living classes in the summers and a month long stone age project in August. I've been to one of her classes and it was great!