The Wicker Man

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by Libertine, May 30, 2006.

1. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

Anyone hear as much of a fan of this movie as I am?

[​IMG]

2. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I've heard about it, and I'd love to see it. I saw a lil' blurb about it on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

3. Dr.antelope

Dr.antelope Member

i love the movie, and i think there making a remake of it with nicholas cage....

4. Guest123

Guest123 Member

5. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Great movie, and I'm not a huge movie fan. A remake? What? Surely it will suck, and be toned down so as not to offend the ChristoFascists.

If you've not heard it, check out the Sneaker Pimps album (do people use that word anymore or am I totally showing my age?!) "Becoming X" ... they do a beautiful cover of the song "How Do" from the movie.

Oh, and here's a funny spoof of the movie...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyswawiFr0

6. kraftykathy

kraftykathy Member

yeah that has to be one of my favorite movies! christopher lee is still pretty proud of that one i've heard.

the medieval babes do a remake of the may pole song. i'll surely check out the sneaker pimps song, i always laugh at that scene it's just great ha-ha!

i love nicolas cage but i'm a bit worried about the remake too. the original though definately fictional had loads of accurate info on paganism and i know of many pagans who love the film

it's interesting that the film is supposed to be set at beltain - may day, but they throw in symbols from other pagan sabbats like ostara and samhain as well, i love the lady in the grave yard nursing her baby and holding on egg. the origins of easter pre christianity!

there are definate cheesy moments but in the best possible way! the how do song part is the best example of that. i love it and just laugh every time i see it.

it's funny that it's listed as a top scary movie. i've never found it scary in the slightest and i actually think their life is so idyllic well, until the very end of course, lol!

yeah i'm nutty for the wickerman too!

kathy

7. R. August Croen

R. August Croen Member

I thought it was an interesting film, and quite disturbing. I don't see how a remake can do justice to the scene where Britt Ekland is dancing nude in her room, trying to witch Officer Howie into her bed. They gave him every chance to step off the path. If he'd gone to her, he would've no longer been a virgin, would've become unsuitable as a sacrifice. If he'd slept through the Hand of Glory spell, as he was supposed to do, he would've missed the final act. But no, poor, stiff-necked Howie was on a Tramline. He had a date with Destiny. It sucked to be him.

Some of the music bothered me, as it's pretty dated. The ballad sung at the beginning, accompanying the images of Howie's plane landing, was almost laughable to me. But other pieces, like the haunting music behind Ekland's nude dance, or the folk music sung by the islanders in the tavern, more than made up for it.

Over all, The Wicker Man is an excellent and unforgettable film.

8. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

This is an excellent movie and a bit disturbing, surely any remake will be useless in comparison.

9. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

One of my all-time faves :)

Although I still think Brit Eckland was a bad casting choice :(

Kinda intriguingly disturbing.... deffo "stand alone" in it's atmosphere

10. Vicar_in_a_Tutu

Vicar_in_a_Tutu Member

Bloody great film. I'm listening to the soundtrack at the moment.

11. woodcat

woodcat Senior Member

You cant beat the origianal! Dont know why they tried.

12. Dragonchaser

Dragonchaser Member

Brit E good. Remake horrible.