The Ukraine Crisis Part 2 . The Battle for the Donbas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Captain Scarlet, Apr 9, 2022.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

For a Victory Day Poster, The Russians used a photo of a Ukrainian WWII pilot who's grave in Kharkiv they bombed

[​IMG]

Tyrsonswood and Captain Scarlet like this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

What the Russians seem to forget and folks like me who had many members of the family involved in fighting the Nazi tyranny of WW2 remember well is that the Soviet Union as it was then fought along side the West for the same goal.

Tragically they lost 27 million people and many amongst their number were Ukrainians .

As well as iconic, its also ironic that the Soviet T34 tank which was leading the parade and the saviour of the USSR during, The Great Patriotic War ( WW2) started production in 1940 at the Kharkiv factory in Ukraine.None of the western media picked that up because the so called experts they employ are not that knowledgeable enough when it comes to military equipment.

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  3. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

4. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

That guy to the left of Putin(lower right corner of photo)looks pretty old.

Captain Scarlet and Tyrsonswood like this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The number of those solders marching in that parade is about the same as the number of Russian solders killed in Ukraine... Let that sink in for a moment.

Captain Scarlet and Flagme15 like this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

He's probably headed for the front lines next week....

Captain Scarlet and Flagme15 like this.
  7. Captain Scarlet

With the lack of quality reports coming out is good news as it shows the Russian attack is stagnating again .

[​IMG]

zer0 likes this.
  8. zer0

zer0 Members

"attempt to carry out the opening phase of the operation with a light, precise approach intended to achieve a rapid victory with minimal cost. This miscalculation led to unsustainable losses..."

Putin is basically 'that guy' on Valentine's Day... "Heyyy I got you a coupon for a hug! Shall we go upstairs now??" :grimacing:

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  9. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Do you care to elaborate?

10. Captain Scarlet

It was some time ago on here.

Without going over old ground a Sky News expert stated that Finland had applied to join NATO.

At the time this was jumping the gun and I quoted that and was quite rightly corrected by another poster .

If I had cross referenced the facts I would have found it it will be applying and likely to be June.

newbie-one likes this.
  11. hotwater

12. hotwater

13. Captain Scarlet

This the first of Russia's best tanks in proper service.

The T90M

Its equivalent of the USA losing one of their top specification MIA2 Abrams tanks .

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  14. Captain Scarlet

The other type of elite tank is the T90A older and less technical than the "M" model above but nevertheless ,some of their best tanks .

Out of Russia's documented losses of 19 as at todays date 12 have been captured . As the running gear is very similar to that of the T72 ,these can be maintained in working order and used against their former owners .

From a Russian point of view this is a disgrace as it means elite tank crews are scattered about the Ukrainian countryside . Things are that corrupt in the Russian military I wouldnt rule out some of these tanks but perhaps some of the other types being sold for cash.

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  15. hotwater

Russian's building bridges to foster understanding and appreciation of cultural differences. not exactly...lol..

16. Captain Scarlet

Thats a shocker . And was expected as there is a big cover up re losses.

I cant say I agree on the court hearing of the captured Russian Soldier. It smacks of a Kangaroo Court .

I needs to be an international court with neutral legal representatives and jury in my view to be fair .

In my view it doesnt look good for the West either to allow this, as this kid and he is a kid is being made a scapegoat for this conflict . Its his commanders probably at Battlegroup Level ie with the rank of Colonel and above that need to be accountable .

MartNorth and hotwater like this.
  17. Tyrsonswood

18. zer0

zer0 Members

If I'm not mistaken he has confessed? And there is incontrovertible video footage of him killing the man. Even his own lawyer says the evidence against him is overwhelming. So essentially there doesn't even need to be a trial, international or otherwise, if he confessed and is not disputing the video. The only thing that remains is his sentencing, which I agree could be where this turns into a political issue. But as for the question of his guilt or innocence, it seems pretty much straight facts at this point.

That's why I think this is the perfect case to set an example. A confession, a sentencing, no drama. It should set the tone that prosecutions will proceed speedily and without a ton of Amber Heard Johnny Depp theatrics.

19. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

I'm starting to like this guy more and more. Very well informed opinions, very good insight on things.

Finland and Sweden are now very close to submitting the Nato membership application papers. It's May 15th -2022 at the time of this writing, you could expect to hear something from both countries maybe even within the next 72 hours. In Finland, prime minister Sanna Marin's Social Democrats agreed to support the Nato membership application with an overwhelming majority in a vote done by the party members. This puts the entire Finnish parliament now in favor of joining. In Sweden, the Social Democratic party will make their decision on this day of Sunday, May 15th. If Sweden too decides to join, you can expect them to act swiftly, within days and not weeks from that point onwards.

Russia cutting off their paltry few % of the electricity they sell to the Finns will do no harm to Finland's ability to function whatsoever. It's mostly just Putler throwing a tantrum. Finland will simply replace that lost electricity with power from other, European sources, plus they're getting ready to fire up a brand new nuke plant. Summer is coming, so there won't be a spike in energy use for months, because it's not the heating season now.

Turkey worries me more. Apparently president Erdoğan wants to barter with the Nordic countries. Has something to do with the fact that Sweden in the past has offered asylum for many members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, who are seen as terrorists in Turkey. I'm personally hoping that Turkey gets put to their place in this matter by the rest of Nato, as time is of the essence, and there's none to waste on petty squabbles.

In other news, Ukraine won the Eurovision song contest by a landslide, with 631 points, 165 points more than the UK, who finished 2nd. Europe showed them overwhelming support tonight. Slava Ukraini.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  20. hotwater

Ukrainians destroy multiple Russian Tanks with German Panzerfaust 3 in Kharkiv

Captain Scarlet likes this.