The Truth Now!!!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Bellfire01, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

If a panhandler told you what he or she was really using the money for would you give it to them? What would you say to them? Would you try it yourself? Have you tried it yourself?

2. badassdawickedmoose

badassdawickedmoose Member

what's a panhandler?

3. halloweenriot

halloweenriot Member

I don't give money to bums - In Chicago, the scumbag beggars are extremely aggressive, especially the ones who sell Streetwise newspapers - they can all fuck off and get their thunderbird/crack money from somebody else.

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

As one who has had to feed a family with the bucks I had to earn, Iwill basically tell a spare changer to fuck off. However, if an individual is willing to offer something in exchange for money, a stick of sage, a hemp bracelet or even a window wash....anything, I will gladly help out.

5. tom

tom Member

The honest ones are the only ones I'll give to.

Was in Eugene a few weeks ago, this guy comes up to me and says he needs some money for his epilepsy meds, then pulls out an empty pill bottle. The prop was total bull shit. I said no.

A few days later I'm coming out of the store. There were two guys who said they were trying to scrounge money to head to North Cali (for no reason other than to screw off). I gave 'em a few bucks

I get a kick out of the guy who sits at the off ramps, takes his fake leg off and sets it like two feet away and holds up a sign about how he's an amputee who needs money to support his 4 adopted children, and he's obviously an honest man because he has "God Bless You" written at the bottom. I say screw him. If he put his peg leg back on (less theatrics brother) and just held up a sign that said "need money for smack" or even yelled "Give me some Mad Dog" I'd probably give him a few dollars.

6. BuffaloSoldier

BuffaloSoldier Member

for the last three years, on christmas, i get a bunch of my friends (whoever wants to) to put any amount of money they can afford, and we find a bum on christmas eve and give it to him/her. we don't act like saints or anything. we just slip them the envelope and get out of there. last year we had $765. you never know. maybe we've changed three peoples lives for the better. or maybe they took the money and went out and got higher than they've ever been. either way, they'll remember that for the rest of their lives.

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Pretty much all of the bums around here have signs such as "Why lie? I just really need a beer" I usually give them a beer if I happen to have one.

8. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I remember the first time I went down to Hollywood Blvd., there was this couple panhandling. They really seemed to need it fer food, but we tried to make them tell us it was for crack. The closest they came was to say " fine, we need it for beer!!!" but I didnt believe them . They were really Hungry. I still kinda feel bad about that.

9. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I never handle pans.

10. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

yeah, I prefer to be known as a recovering spange-r.......

11. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

it might make me more likely to give it to ehm since they were honest... but im probably not about about to chip in for some junkies fix.
    ive never seen any panhandlers around here though

12. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

Thats hilarious. :D What a great idea.