The Things They Carried - BY: Tim O' Brian

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by gratefuldeadhippy, Jun 23, 2006.

1. gratefuldeadhippy

gratefuldeadhippy Member

This book is both about the art of story telling and horrible experiences in the shit soaked fields of Vietnam. I couldn't tell where to put this thread so i put it here.

This is one of the essential books about Vietnam. Tim is a young liberal college student who is drafted and runs directly to the Canadian border. But when looking across the river he feels as if his entire hometown, family and, friends are watching him. So he goes to war as a act of cowardice. as he tell each story about the war it become harder and harder to tell fact from the embellishing jewels put upon it but in the end it becomes clear that the truth is not what matters the heart of the story is what matters.

On the surface it is simply the story of a young man too afraid to disgrace his family to run and, to much of a boy to go to war. Yet underneath it is a story of living on in stories with the enriching theme of life though others.

2. Action_Frank

Action_Frank Member

i guess only i read that book.

3. AcousticPeace

AcousticPeace Member

i read that, very good.

4. LostLass

LostLass Member

If one can have a favorite book about a terrible thing, The Things They Carry is that book for me. The narrative style is beautiful ...postmodern in the old school definition of the term.

5. mystery girl

mystery girl Member

I really loved this book...gratefuldeadhippy put it best I think...