the talisman

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by ayahuasca, May 29, 2006.

1. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

one of my favourite books is 'the talisman', by stephen king and peter straubb.
    has anyone else read it?
    i thought it was amazing.

2. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

It's been a number of years since I read it,but yeah, at the time it made a huge impact on me. Emotional. I also sort of thought it was about LSD in a way,but at that time in my life everthing seemed to be about LSD,LSD has a way of doin' that. But he drank that potion/wino wine stuff and travelled to another land,ya know. Also it's very poignant to have a boy on the verge of childhood ending having to take on all this heavy responsibility,trying to save his mother who is also the queen in another world, in a way I think we all go through this heavy trauma of growing up. I dunno if that makes sense.It did to me.

3. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

that's sweet, i never really looked at it like that.
    that's why i like books. everyone interprets it in a different way.
    it definitely did make an impact on my life though.
    i'm not even specifically sure how, or why.
    but it's always in the back of my mind now, so it obviously makes some difference.

4. fritz

fritz Heathen

Yeah, I loved that book.
    I recently read the continuation called Black House. It's not quite the same ballgame, has some elements of the Gunslinger in it..I still found it enjoyable.

5. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

yeah, i started black house. i didn't get too far, it definitely wasn't the same. i don't know, i guess i was expecting more surrealism right from the beginning. does it get better the deeper you go?

6. fritz

fritz Heathen

Yes, it gets more surreal. This book is more horror fiction than fantasy. I feel the first was more adventure fantasy/horror..Did you get the same impression?
    It was an enjoyable horror fiction novel, & worth reading IMHO, but probably wouldn't make my top ten list.
    One of my favorite aspects as the story progresses was the friendship between the blind disc jockey and the main character.

7. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

adventure fantasy/horror describes the talisman perfectly. it's too bad black house didn't follow that theme, but variety is always good as well. i'll probably still read it, see if i can get into it. :)
    i like the way in black house how the narrator is "us". it makes for great visuals.

8. oblivion

oblivion Member

i read this years ago and to be honest i read so many books in a year i dont remember half of them. maybe the weed doesnt help with that though eh?