The Taliban and their retrograde laws

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sureño, Aug 19, 2021.

1. sureño

sureño Members

It is inconceivable that in the twenty-first century, there is a government that wants to impose slavery on every human being born as a woman.
    Even more inconceivable if the rest of the world allows that to happen.
    Let us call on our governments to demand justice for Afghan women.

Rotten Willie and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior Village Idiot

Are you willing to send your children? No?
    Then sit the fuck down.

armchair generals.jpg

noodist_jen likes this.
  3. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

It is inconceivable that someone half way around the world wants to tell Muslim people who to live a Muslim life in their own country... how to live.

4. sureño

sureño Members

Piobarde & stormountainman

Because of people like you the world is getting worse and worse. If you're so selfish that you don't mind them enslaving women, at least do it for yourselves since everything that happens in the world in one way or another will affect us. The same happens with climate change or are you so stupid that you think that what happens on the other side of the world will not affect you?

5. Piobaire

"When you're lying and dying on Afghanistan's plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier."

When you grow up, I pray that you never learn the limitations of militarism the hard way.

bliss.jpg

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Wizard in the Castle Administrator

Calm down guys, no need to get angry at each other.

I sure agree the Taliban is unenlightened regarding women's rights. But so are many countries. We struggle with that here in America also.

What we need not do is play policeman to the world, it is ineffectual.

What we do need to do is offer support and compassion along with education.

And fix our own problems before pointing fingers at others.

7. Piobaire

No anger here. While I do have a bad habit to tend towards sarcasm, that wasn't meant to be snarky. The wish is sincerely heart-felt.

530735_10151256846419653_289608913_n.jpg

FritzDaKatx2 and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. sureño

sureño Members

I agree. What angers me is the indifference of some people

I don't know where you come from, but your words seem to be directed at the U.S. government.

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Wizard in the Castle Administrator

Yes, I am an American who lives abroad.

sureño likes this.
  10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

11. WOLF ANGEL

12. WOLF ANGEL

13. Piobaire

Don't mistake equanimity for indifference. Sometimes the situation sucks, options are few, and the best we can hope for is the least horrible outcome. My personal preferences, wants, desires, hopes, dreams, and aspirations simply aren't part of that equation.

14. sureño

sureño Members

I believe that all governments should put pressure on states that violate the fundamental rights of their citizens. No one should recognise them as legitimate if they are not treated reasonably to their people. Especially to their women.

15. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

The sad state of affairs is that Afghanistan cannot be changed, because they don't want to change. And any empire past or present has always failed at doing this, in part because they don't understand how the culture works. There's a reason why that corner of the world's been nicknamed "The graveyard of empires". Because many empires that tried, later fell spectacularly, a recent historical example being the Soviet Union, which fell apart in part because of the unpopularity of that war, and because of how draining it was to their already weak economy. And with that in mind, the Americans should also tread carefully for the next few years, lest they want to meet with the same fate.

That being said, same as East-Germany once upon a time, the best thing to do now would be to help anyone who would wish to leave to get the hell out of that country. I'm talking about setting up rescue networks that would deliberately help people to defect, if they wish to escape the Taliban's barbaric and backwards rule. Also, cut off all western aid money. Knowing the Taliban, it's not gonna find its way to the rightful causes anyway, so why bother? Worst case scenario, the well-meaning effort could end up financing something like the Al-Qaida.

sureño likes this.