The Strokes, Jet, and all those...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ginge, May 16, 2004.

?

"60s/70s Rock Revival" Bands

1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. No Opinion

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

NAY!!!!!!They all fuckin suck!!!!!Learn how to play dudes~!!!

2. Skelter

Skelter Helter

Yay. I like all those bands. Though two years ago their sounded more fresh then now, when The Vines', The Strokes' first album came out, and The Hives' 'Your New Favourite Band'. Nu-Garage bands aren't very popular here, so i don't find them too commercial. And they write their own songs, so they are REAL bands.

3. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

Well, I saw The Vines video for that song, "Ride" today, which is all I know about them, and I personally thought it kicked ass. Much better than Jet, who sounds like they try way too hard. I liked the video too, although I am sick of all the rockers with the faded t-shirt and plain jeans. What the Hell is up with trying to look normal? Hmmm... I also don't like this trend because I am trying to bring back the tight pants thing. Oh, but that is another story all together.

"Rock with me, rock with me, rock with me... oh..."

Damn it's stuck in my head.

4. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

Why the fuck does "Yay" have more votes than "Nay"?!

YOU FUCKING IDIOT HIPPIES WOULDN'T KNOW ROCK & ROLL IF IT WAS SHOVING QUALUDES DOWN YOUR THROAT AND BITING YOUR NIPPLES OFF!

5. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Well, I said "nay," and I'm not a hippie... so yeah.

6. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

Wow, can you stop yelling? Thanks.

And rock & roll wouldn't do that to me, anyways, even if you did call me a hippy.

So there. Have a nice day. :)

7. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

Nay.

The Vines, The Strokes, The Hives, The White Stripes, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc etc don't do anything for me. I find the music on the whole tuneless and overly padded with distortion. I just don't get it.

Don't get me started on Jet... Selling exact rip-offs of their influences like that is really insulting. As a fellow Australian I'm embarrassed.

8. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i never heard Jet.

9. hiphiphippy999

hiphiphippy999 Member

Yay

Rock and Roll music should be timeless!

10. daytripper

daytripper Member

For me it's Yay. I know they are copies of copies. But I like them. I think they could be more original tho'. Like The Vines, well, I don't like them, and the lead singer is really really but reeaaally a copy of Kurt Cobain. I know people who like Nirvana may swear at me after that or I don't know. But that guy is so ridiculous it's even funny.

I think The Strokes have their originality (or whaveter it spells). I know they have that rock 'n' roll air intentionally (or whatever is the word, again), and the second album really sucks, but if they kept their music like the first album, I think I could become a fan. And same think goes for Jet. I hope the second album rocks. Just like the first one. And that's it.

Love,
    Louise.

11. schmokes

schmokes Member

what does the 'yay' or 'nay' poll have anything to do with a persons knowledge on rock and roll? i voted 'yay', because i enjoy the yeah yeah yeahs to a great extent, but that doesn't mean my musical taste is limited to only that. just because someone likes one type of music doesn't mean they don't know what good music is, douche.

12. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

The fuck it wouldn't! Rock & roll is dirty, it's ugly, it's violent! It'll carve a hole in your heart without thinking twice and laugh when someone does the same to it!

Lou Reed! Iggy Pop! Sid Vicious! Kurt Cobain! Elvis Presley! Keith Richards! Jello Biafra before he sold out! Tom Waits! Henry Rollins before he sold out! And those are just names I'm mentioning because I know your tiny fucking brain will recognize them! They're fucking rock & roll! Not your sugar-coated kiddy bubblegum rainbow shit!

13. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

Are you stoned?

"just because someone likes one type of music doesn't mean they don't know what good music is, douche"

You realize you answered your own fucking question and made yourself look like a fool for liking bad music, yes?

14. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Just saw the Strokes this weekend and I think they are one of the best bands out there at the moment and I have been seeing shows for a long time.

i don't like Jet or the Vines at all and am not really sure why they are similar to the Strokes apart from when they all became known.

15. Guitar_god_

Guitar_god_ Member

Naynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynay!

Nay!

16. Guitar_god_

Guitar_god_ Member

BTW, Tencentarcade, your font is WAYYYY too small, I can barely read it, lol.

Yeah, *cough* sarcasm.

17. schmokes

schmokes Member

there are different types of music than just plain out rock and roll, including plenty of sub-genres, so just because one likes music that isn't neccessarily 'rock and roll' doesn't mean they don't know what 'rock and roll' is. my question was what does someone voting 'yay' for a certain type of music have to do with with their knowledge on rock and roll. i fail to see where i answered this. an explanation would be much appreciated

18. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

*shrug* At least you agree with me.

19. TenCentArcade

TenCentArcade Banned

If someone thinks Jet, The Strokes, The Vines, etc., etc. are rock & roll, that person doesn't deserve ears.

20. schmokes

schmokes Member

i do agree to a certain extent, but thats hardly the point. what i was trying to get across was that music is music and i do enjoy the yeah yeah yeahs, but what does that have to do with my love for and knowledge of rock and roll?

unless i said 'the yeah yeah yeahs are the greatest rock and roll band ever, i think they surpass elvis presly and every other great rock and roll artist with their rock and roll abilities" which i didnt, then i don't see how my music taste affects my music knowledge.