The Strokes, Jet, and all those...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ginge, May 16, 2004.

?

"60s/70s Rock Revival" Bands

1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. No Opinion

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

"60s/70s Rock Revival" bands. Yay or nay?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Nay.

I don't like bands that simply mimic the music of 30-40 years ago without expanding on ideas. And it's clear with many of these bands that it's more of an image thing than anything else. They've got the whole thing down almost perfectly, from the hair, to the clothes, to the attitude. It just seems silly. It's a fad, and that's why these bands are already starting to lose heat after only being around for a few years. This is trend rock in the purest, most unadulterated form.

Bands like this will not be remembered 10 years from now as being anything other than a flash in the pan, which is all they are. It's music with no substance, only style. It's no better than some of the teen-pop that's out there, as far as I am concerned.

I just have to laugh when I see bands on TV like the Strokes. They just seem like such poseurs. They are so packaged. But some people are so stupid that they don't realize how packaged it is, because it's different from the packaging with say teen-pop, which relies less on shag hairdos, the obligatory tight and faded CBGB t-shirt, and $100 ripped, vintage-washed jeans from the Gap than it does on sex appeal.

3. keng123

keng123 Member

4. antithesis

antithesis Hello

They need to try a little thing I like to call "originality".

5. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Well, personally, I love the Strokes. I don't give a fuck whether they're packaged or not original or blah blah blah... I just listened to their albums, loved the music, and that's enough for me to love a band. I don't choose the bands I love because of their image or their originality or whatever, I just listen to their music, and like it or not. I'm not an elitist... and I'm honest with myself. If I actually was a huge fan of shitty dance-pop music I wouldn't try to convince myself that I am not... maybe I'd be ashamed, but the fact that it is commercial, packaged and everything you want wouldn't stop me from being a fan - but, I'm not, don't worry!
    Also, I know why I like the Strokes music, I'm a fan of all those bands they're influenced by, and even though they're not doing anything new, I just like it because it's similar to something I've loved for years... you see what I mean? I don't really care if it's nothing new, and really don't care at all for the bands image, it's just the music style and the quality.

And just for the record, I'm a huge fan of bands from the Mothers Of Invention to Gong, and I can also appreciate jazz and classical music very much. Just to show that my tastes are developed enough not to get fooled into liking something I wouldn't really like because of ignorance.

6. wiufcaoltp

wiufcaoltp Welcome To The Interzone

Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn´t enjoy their music.

Moving on, I think that The Strokes are now victims of what is called "anti-hype". The problem is that from the beginning they were hailed as "les sauveurs du rock", and this is ridiculous. They aren´t the saving anything... for me, for a band to save a genre it has to progress somehow and expand the genre in question, going in an uncharted direction. The Strokes clearly don´t do this, as their music adds nothing truly new to rock. In spite of them having a unique sound, their music relies heavily on The Velvets, Television and The Cars in particular. Their quality is their music (unless you don´t like it).

As for them being a packaged band, well, I couldn´t tell you; I don´t know them personally. I don´t know the circumstances of their success, except for the rather obvious reason of the group of people that had been growing considerably who were mostly attuned to the mainstream but were getting sick of what was popular and wanted something accessible yet tasteful and with class. Thus, The Strokes. Note that I'm not saying they're not packaged, but I can´t confirm or deny it. They simply came along and the music press went crazy over them.

In conclusion, The Strokes shouldn´t be regarded as a band leading music somewhere; they're leading themselves.

7. Pressed_Rat

Was that directed at me, Penny? You seem kind of defensive about what I said. Frankly, I couldn't care less about what other people listen to. It doesn't faze me in the least if you listen to the Strokes, or Sha Na Na, or whatever - I don't care. I was only commenting on how I feel about the band's music. If you like their music, that's not my business.

Different people look for different things in music. I like music that is somewhat challenging, and at least different from the things I've heard before. That's what makes music interesting to me. That is what challenges the mind and gets you thinking.

Some people like music as long as it sounds good to them. To each their own. I am not here to rain on anybody's parade for what they listen to, and if you think that's my intention, you clearly don't know me.

I don't think not liking a band, then stating why you don't like them, constitutes as elitism. Elitism is when you get angry at another person because you don't like their opinion and you think that only your opinion is valid, and that other people are not entitled to express how they feel about something.

As far as them being packaged, I suppose that could be a matter opinion, not fact. However, I don't think you have to know a band personally to know if they're packaged, you just have to be a little intuitive. They just seem to be part of this whole collective scene that the record industry had been promoting for the past 3 1/2 years. Again, that shouldn't have an affect on whether or not you like their music. They just sound a little too familiar for my own personal tastes. That's all - enough said.

8. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Member

I've come to the conclusion that I like the way they dress better than the way they sound. Although there's this other new band called The Zutons that, if they don't get too popular, might be good ;)

9. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

There are plenty of good rock bands, but they're hard to look for beneath the muck.

The Strokes,
    Jet,
    The White Stripes,
    Coldplay,
    Evanescence,
    The Donnas

Are all good revival bands that go back to the roots of rock

10. Hippy_Smurf

Hippy_Smurf Member

Haven't Jet, The Strokes and that lot all been pigeon-holed into the 'garage rock' genre or something now?

I really like The Strokes. I don't make an effort to research their bibliographies, find out whether they're packaged, what they think of their material and what their philosophies or anything are, I just enjoy the music for what it is.

And whatever the hell it is, sounds good to me!

11. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

My post wasn't directed at you at all, don't worry. I know that you're not an elitist and that you don't judge other people for the music they listen to... I really know that!

I wasn't talking to anyone in particular, let's say my post was directed at people who would be very closed minded and who wouldn't give a chance to people who think like me... you know? But I know that you're not like that kind of people. Maybe I thought you were like that a few years ago, when I was much younger and less mature, but I've learned how to know better what kind of person you are by reading your posts, and I think you're a nice guy.

And like you say, to each their own... like you I'm tolerant, it's just that, I was kind of defending myself and other people who think the same way against people who are not tolerant.

12. EmeraldEyez

EmeraldEyez Member

I LOVE JET! some of them i think are just trying WAY too hard tho. i don't really care what you call those bands, just like everything else, some suck, some kick ass! :)

13. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i like the strokes, the white stripes, the vines, the hives, ... i haven't heard jet. But evanescence? are you kidding?

14. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

My post wasn't directed at you at all, don't worry. I know that you're not an elitist and that you don't judge other people for the music they listen to... I really know that!

I wasn't talking to anyone in particular, let's say my post was directed at people who would be very closed minded and who wouldn't give a chance to people who think like me... you know? But I know that you're not like that kind of people. Maybe I thought you were like that a few years ago, when I was much younger and less mature, but I've learned how to know better what kind of person you are by reading your posts, and I think you're a nice guy.

And like you say, to each their own... like you I'm tolerant, it's just that, I was kind of defending myself and other people who think the same way against people who are not tolerant.

15. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Jet...ooh, I can't stand their music. I mostly try to stay away from newer "The" bands: The Hives, The Vines, The Strokes, etc...in my opinion they just aren't doing anything new or interesting at all.

16. sitareric

sitareric Banned

I dont think they are revival bands of the 60s and 70s at all, but i really think they are doing good things, giving something of depth, to contrasting modern music

17. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Rolling Stone is the one that called them "Revivial Bands". Not my words. LOL

So far, judging by polls and responses, there's more Yay than Nay.

18. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Ok I admit Jet is just Iggy Pop all over again. However The The's.

As in, the White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines, 80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster, The Mars Volta, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the Polyphonic Spree, The Libertines, The Yeah Yeah Yeah, Stellar Star, the rest of them, are DEFINATLY NOT revival bands. Trust me, I'm really into that scene, I live in London for gods sake and listen to XFM, how can you not be, especially when there is an NME subscription on top of that, PLUS Later with Jules Holland.

By the way, The Vines were really good on Friday.

Blessings

Sebbi

19. CUtheRE

CUtheRE Member

but i have to admit i'm a sucker for jet's "look what you've done." i swear they sounded like paul mccartney there for a second. with that i can totally agree that these bands are very unoriginal, but like i said that song... i'd have to say is my guilty pleasure.

20. Pressed_Rat

So in which way are they deep? Just curious.