The Streets???

Discussion in 'Music' started by HappyHaHaGirl, May 20, 2004.

1. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I heard this guy for the first time on NPR yesterday, and I kind of liked him. Should I be embarassed, or is that okay? I don't really listen to the radio anymore, so I don't know what's cool. But he entertained me....his voice is funny. :)

2. PoetOnFire

PoetOnFire Member

dude the streets is awsome, not many british rappers are prominent (at least not near here) and i definitely dig his sound. no need to be embarrassed.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

Good...so I'm okay! Yaay! :) Thanks.

4. greasytuesday

greasytuesday Member

THE STREETS ARE AWESOME!!!

They're probably my favorate music coming out these days... I really want to get their new album, but I haven't get any money... I bought the Pixies DVD instead :s Oh well, thats a great DVD too.

But yeah, I'm not sure if u guys are from the UK or not, but I find his music is very honest and amazing at describing what its like to be a youth in britain. I also don't see him as a rapper, more of a street poet. If u haven't heard original pirate material, look at the lyrics to "The Irony of it All", or even better download it.

"So I smacked him in the head and downed another Carling,
    "Budda-Budda-Bing!", For the lads, like.
    Mad Fight,
    His face; sad sight...
    Vodka and Snake bite":cool:

5. HappyHaHaGirl

I think it's cute...hearing a British guy rap is like watching the Masterpiece Theatre Remix feat. P. Diddy or something... :)

6. Fantastic new album. It's probably the first concept album I've actually liked in a long time. Makies me laugh when yanks say he talks funny mind, I don't buy 50cent records just to hear him talk american. Check out the new album its called ' A grand don't come for free' its great.

7. butterfly

butterfly Member

I love Mike Skinner! Safe as fuck!

I don't think the new albums as good as the old one, though I've only heard it once....but it has got some chooons on it :)
    I almost cry everytime I hear "dry your eyes"

8. It's a grower, not as in your face as original pirate material but listen to it again and you will love it

9. butterfly

butterfly Member

ok, I will go steal it from my friend :)

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I liked the first album, but it got tiring after about a week.

11. Diamond Gord

Diamond Gord Member

Mike Skinner aka The Streets is excellent, IMO.
    He is the voice of my generation in the UK. His ability to tell a story using language and mannerisms that I can relate to is what puts him ahead of any US rapper in book. I like Hip Hop a lot but most of it is like listening to someone from an entirely different background than mine with a subject matter that I can't relate to and using slang that I don't use, which can be good but To hear someone talk like me(sort of) about things that I do/ have done is refreshing.
    The new album is excellent and should be listened to as a whole. Despite my lsat statement I would have to say that the standout tracks for me are Blinded by the lights, Dry Your Eyes and Empty Cans

12. Graham

Graham Member

i dont normally like rap, but the steets are allright. I agree with the previous comment they are more like poetry than rap.

13. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I think we should all engage in a massive high-fiving session!!!

14. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

damn, i keep forgetting to look into 'the streets'. i heard 'im when i was in england last month. i quited liked it. the video for 'fit but you know it' is pretty funny. they were always playing it on mtv2.

15. dee

dee Member

Poetry from the streets, awesome stuff. Check out their website at www.the-streets.co.uk join the site and you'll get loads of free movies to watch online.

16. boog

boog A square peg

i dont like the streets at all. it encompasses all that it is to be towny scum.

17. Skelter

Skelter Helter

normally i don't like rap. but i do like the streets' first album, i don't really like their new one (except for 'fit but you know it', best single of the year so far imo)

18. dee

dee Member

different walks of life but townie is pushing it a bit.

19. butterfly

butterfly Member

Or at least 'scum' is pushing it. Intelligent but uneducated.

20. dee

dee Member

I like to call it entertaining.