The spectral superiority of the LED grow lights

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by mark2012, May 22, 2012.

1. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

The techniques for growing plants indoor can vary widely ,from sophisticated commercial hydroponic operations that use complex drip irrigation systems to a simple pot of herbs on a kitchen windowsill .What every indoor growing method has in common is the need for an artificial light source that mimics as closeely as possible the light of the sun.

It would seem logical that the best light source fro growing plants indoors would be as bright and yellow as sunlight appears to the human eye ,but this is not the case. The visual perception of he human eye is most acute center of the visable light spectrum ,while hose portions of light spectrum plants need for photosynthesis lie at the upper(blue) and low(red) ranges appear green because the pigments in plant tissues absorb light in the blue and ren wavelengths and reflect light in the green wavelengths that lie near the center of the spectrum.

In other words ,plants do not use most f the light produced y artificial light sources that were designed to allow hemans to see in the dark .I a tipical incandescent light bulb ,only about 30%of the light produced can be used by plants for photosynthesis ,The same holds true for most fluorescent lights,though some have been tailored to emit light in the Photo synthetically Active Radiation(PAR) spectral range .High-intensity gas discharge grow lights systems,such as metal halide or high-pressure sodium lamps ,are better at targeting the PAR spectral wavelengths ,but still waste about 50%of their light output in the center part of the visible spectrum that plants do not use .

All of these issues with the PAR spectrum are why advances in the technolohgy of Light Emitting Diodes(LEDs) over the past 20years have led to a revolution in indoor horticulture .LED grow lights are engineered to output the exact wavelengths of light best absorbed by the chlorophylls ,carotenoids and xanthophylls that are the chief photosynthetic pigments in green plants ,which make them the most efficient indoo rgarden lighting solution from a spectral standpoint .

LED grow lights have many other advantages over traditional lighting sources as well .LEDs can save up to 80% on energy-use costs ,do not produce any waste heat and can last up to 100,000 hours --more that ten times the device-life rating of other types of ondoor garden lights .

Modern LED grow lights are simply the most efficient method of lighting an indoor growing space from any angle .:)

2. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

i see a trace of heat damage in first and last pictures which makes me wonder lol.

3. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

Really? Waht brands?

4. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

Did you use the LED grow light before or intend to use it ?
    Before i used the LED grow light and the result is well .

Have a nice day !!

5. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

Really ? I think they are ok . And the intensity of the lights are different ,so the effects are different .

Have you used teh LED gorw light before ?

Have a nice day !!!

6. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

I have considered it. I like the idea of having to remove less heat than sodium bulbs.

How do they measure up with high pressure sodium and metalhalide types? They deliver results. LED's I'm not so sure about. Even less so, which specific brands???

7. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

Apollo LED grow light and several old brands lights i used before ,and the effect is more awesome .

For the professional knowledge ,I know less than my salesman who sells light to me .but i know that LED's do not contain harmful chemicals like mercury which can find in traditional lamps .And LED can be hung much closer to plant foliage without the risk of scorching .More knowledge ,i still want to know from my salesman .

Good luck!!:)

8. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

Low power consumption does not seem to be a benefit of LED grow lights. Apollo LED grow lights are 270 and 580 watts!!!! That's a lot of heat that needs to be removed!

9. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

I am very curious about LED grow lights myself and have heard good things about them. I think the heat from them is about half the heat of conventional grow bulbs. I have also been told the buds somewhat lack the density of buds grown under conventional bulbs.

10. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

Yes ,you are right .As long as the light is working ,it will produce more heat . So it should have the perfect heat sink device to remove the heat .

11. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

Apollo LED grow light is being for a long time in the market and have a great impact .So many people are talking about it on many forums.
    As o whole ,Apollo LED grow light is ok . LOL

12. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

How many LED watts per plant do you estimate it takes to grow one plant?

13. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

Hey ,that is not sure without foundation ,it depends on the size of the plant .

14. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

How many plants would you expect to harvest under a 270 watt apollo led grow lamp?

15. mark2012

mark2012 Guest

:2thumbsup:

270W Apollo LED grow light should be the Apollo-8 LED grow light ,it can grow 1 or 2 larger plants ,and the result is more than 45g for one time , i believe .:2thumbsup:

16. jessicalennita

jessicalennita Guest

LED grow lights are revolutionizing the way we grow indoors. They consume less power by delivering only the light your plant needs.They use less power and produce less heat with no noise and extremely low maintenance. Where as in the case of HID lights which produce a lot of light in the infrared spectrum and high pressure sodium bulbs which emits the yellow light.

17. cassiegreen

cassiegreen Guest

I found some cheap grow lights with good quality. If you want to have a try, please PM me.

18. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

270W of HID light can grow 2 larger plants too; I fail to see how LED's are "superior."

19. lewis11c

lewis11c Banned

The spectral density of LED Lights varies from sophisticated commercial hydroponic operations that use complex drip irrigation systems to a simple pot of herbs on a kitchen windowsill.

20. stickyhands

stickyhands Guest

good to see that you are doing well with LED's i didnt have the same luck. my yields went down and lost me some money