The sight/smell of meat.........

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Elle, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Elle

Elle Senior Member

How much if at all does it disgust you? You know, sometimes my mother will bring over left over meat for me to give to my cat (instead of throwing it out, my kitty loves it) and I was breaking up some turkey for him last night and was wondering how I was able to just rip pieces of meat apart without being put off by it. The smell of meat sometimes actually smells...dare I say it......good.:& I'm not tempted to eat it at all, but I assumed that since its been a while since Ive stopped eating meat that the smell and sight of it would make me sick. I feel guilty about it sometimes. Does it make you cringe?

2. gertie

gertie Senior Member

it totally discusts me. the smell, the appearence, the thought. yucky.

3. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

Some of it isn't offensive odour-wise, but strong smelling things like bacon or fried bits of innards literally make me gag.

I find that if something in the kitchen of an omni smells good, it's usually onions or herbs.

4. minjeig

minjeig Member

depends entirely on what its being cooked with. sometimes the smell of bacon is good (i know, i suck and thats sad!) and often when my dad makes turkey soup it smells good because of the other ingredients. that being said, my friends mom was cooking hunks of frozen chicken the other day and the smell made me want to die because it just smelled so... i can't even describe it. it was like smelling something that has no smell, but all of a sudden has a smell and the smell is shitty. ew. it was so rank. i'm offended by the look of it if it's raw or if it still looks like an animal (like at this place near my house they do a huge brunch on sundays and they bring in a whole cooked pig and it makes me want to yark.) but no, you aren't alone with the whole not being completely repelled by the sight/smell of it.

5. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

When I had been Vegan for about 30 days, the smell of meat, eggs, cheese and milk started to make me gag. Two years later, I still can't stand the smell of poultry and pork, but I don't notice the odor as intensely as I used to. It's kind of like getting used to the smell all over again.

That being said, I generally will not shop at an old supermarket because the smell of years of an enclosed area containing decomposing flesh and rotting dairy products gets pretty ripe. But I don't find myself breathing through my mouth as often as I used to.

I actually consider myself lucky to have gone through a period of revulsion at the sight and smell of meat because it makes it much easier for me (a former meat lover) not to miss eating it. You shouldn't feel guilty for not feeling grossed out. Lots of veg*ns aren't grossed out by meat, but they continue to live by their ethics nonetheless.

6. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

The sight of meat can gross me out, but not the smell so much. Except bacon. Ick. I hate bacon, it makes me want to vomit.

Once my boyfriend's parents went to Sam's and they got a really good deal on this giant side of beef. They decided to buy it because they have a FoodSaver thing, and they wanted to freeze the steaks and eat them over time. Well I had the pleasant surprise to walk into the kitchen at the same time my boyfriend's dad was hacking into this gigantic piece of cow. There was blood all over the counter, and you could still see where the legs were and stuff. It was disgusting, and I threw up in the bathroom.

Ick.

7. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Yeah, the sight and smell of meat revolts me. I can't imagine eating meat again without being ill. It's not a hardcore or ethical statement - it's just honestly how it makes me feel. I mean really, it shouldn't be surprising. If any meat eater was to see a butchered human corpse, or smell human flesh cooking, they'd be pretty ill. And what's the difference? It's all just dead meat.

8. thumontico

thumontico Member

I see no ethical problems with eating the flesh of other animals if necessary to survive. If you were not ill and simply had no other food source would you not take the life of another animal to attain nourishment? Obviosuly it is circumstantial and it would be more difficult to take the life of your close friend Lucy the Cow compared to an unaquainted Levi the Cat. Unless of course you do not kill the animals simply because they are cuddly, then you would be inconsistent and hypocritical in your ethics.

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I have always hated the smell of liver and sardines don't smell that great either. My kids will sometimes plug their nose when we walk past the fish dept. in a grocery store.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

can't take the linger. I live with omnis so some convenience meats get warmed up in the oven. While its cooking (again, like Dif Kettle no pig) it's tolerable but the lingering smell is right up there with canned cat food.
    I really get bummed when I discover the bedroom door was open and that lovely smell drifted right in... and it is 7 degrees outside.

11. shinta

shinta Member

the smell of blood and meat makes me wanna trow up.good thing my boyfriend's family
    are all vegetarians.why can't my parents be veggies?

12. Little flower

Little flower Member

i went thought a phase of saying meat is murder and stuff,
    i even hav a t shirt saying meat is murder! hehe
    sum times i say stuff like "wat animal r u eating'' or "say thank u 2 da animal''
    lol!
    im finking of saying tht im alergic 2 meat coz i wont eat anything tht has touched meat!
    im very stricked bout it.
    coz i looooovvveee animals sooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!
    1day i will only hav organic/3 renge dairy

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

because they have the right to their diet, like they are affording you.

14. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

sometimes, the worse of me coems out and i liek the smell. but most the time, i am disgusted by it. the sight of it makes me sick. especially when i see the blood

15. akashawillow

akashawillow Member

it depends on what type it is.I knwo when i touch the type of pre made turkey for sandwhiches i hate the way it feels but I do find myself to liking the smells but when it comes down to it i dnt want to eat it because what was done to them

16. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

They may have a 'right to their diet' legally, but morally, do they have the 'right to a diet' that exploits other animals?

I get a bit bored of veggies/vegans defending the 'freedom of choice' of meat eaters. I'm happy to accept that there's little point in trying to force people to conform to a veggie/vegan lifestyle, and I'm quite happy to accept that the best way forward is reasoning and persuasion, but it's ridiculous to talk about meat-eating as a 'right' when it revolves around suffering and degredation. You might as well say I have the 'right' to torture animals. And hey.... fuck rights. What about responsibilities? Isn't it typical of humanity that we're always demanding our 'rights' rather than showing any concern for what we can do for others?

17. gladna pluca

gladna pluca Member

Meat really stinks, i hate it and it makes me puke.But tomorrow i ll send some to a stray dog mother with one cub in my universitty campus..I love animals