the shining or the stand?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by sublimer, Mar 22, 2006.

1. sublimer

sublimer Member

hello all-
    I watched The Shining the other day and want to read the book now to clarify the movie. But I also heard raves about The Stand, and I have copies of both at my parents house, but limited time. Which one should I read first?

2. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

The Stand....is King's ultimate and best of his works (in my opinion) a great classic...I have read it so many times....and re read it often....while the The Shining is another great one....I still prefer The Stand over The Shining

Angelmama likes this.
  3. vegetable_man

vegetable_man Member

The Shining and the Stand are both great, but i think Salems' Lot is better..... very creepy book...

4. Skyyler

Skyyler Member

The Stand. it is by far kings most popular work. it is my favorite also. but if you have limited time, it will probably take you a while..... the book is massive. the shining is good also, but slow to get going and a hard attention grabber at first, but it is one of his early classics.

5. Peculiar Girl

Peculiar Girl Member

The Stand. It's great, epic, classic. Just make sure you're reading the unabridged version.

I disagree about it being King's greatest work though. His greatest work is the Dark Tower Series!

6. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

The Stand is terrifying, because it could happen.
    All we need is for COVID19 to adapt and strengthen.
    A whole lot of folks would die, and then...
    Odd Billy Todd is another, similar novel. Also good.

ZenKarma likes this.