The Seven Reasons I am Pro-choice

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by issablue, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

And that's great for her, but there are plenty of children out there that aren't covered by any medical care. Not to mention plenty of children being abused, neglected, going hungry, and being bounced from foster home to foster home. There are too many unwanted children in the world for us to be so concerned about the fact that mothers are choosing not to bring more unwanted children into this world.

2. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Oh, you would prefer this! Try actually finding someone with Down's syndrome who shares your sentiment.

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

When all else fails, default to trite slogans and generalizations. You haven't even come close to explaining how abortion helps abused, neglected, or hungry children. By your reasoning, they should all be killed for their own good.

4. Abyle

Abyle Member

Yes, absolutely I would prefer it. And I make no apologies, but I don't think it's right to create people who are nothing but societal burdens, whether or not they are good people. However, you can't kill a breathing being with intelligence, because that is cruel. A first trimester abortion hurts no one, but it can save a lifetime of woe. A woman who may refuse adoption may keep her baby and mistreat him or her. Don't you think this child would benefit from abortion? What about mentally disabled/ some physically disabled children who bounce around in the system for years? I'm guessing you probably adopted two mentally and physically average infants, so who are you to judge if you're not taking these kids in? I guarentee you don't know the frustrations of being mentally handicapped either.

Before you go around condemning pro-choice people, take in a few "hard to place" kids with RAD, Down's, Cerebral palsy, and a few other disabilities. You tell me that a RAD child wouldn't be better off having been aborted. And if you're an adoptive parent and you don't know what RAD is, I'm very surprised. See www.radzebra.org

Addendum: I just wanted to say you have a right to believe whatever you want. I am not trying to sway you. I just ask that you respect my beliefs.

5. issablue

issablue Member

These are extreme cases that happen every single day to women all over.

6. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

ok one more question for you total pro-abortion people and then enough outta me. I'm just curious.

What do you think of the girls who get abortion after abortion because they
    a) can get BC but don't
    b) young girls who are too young to work, but have sex anyway even though they know the consequenses of having sex
    c) just don't care and it's free while BC is not in all cases

I want to know what you think about the gils who really abuse this right. They're out there and it's not always a great idea to have an abortion- it's just fear.

7. Abyle

Abyle Member

Hi Moe,

Here's what I think:

a) Lazy, yes, but I wouldn't want someone too lazy to take a pill or get a shot to take care of a baby or choose future parents!!!

b) With freedom comes responsibility. They will eventually have to take responsibility for their actions; it isn't my moral duty as a "good Christian woman" to go around telling people they shouldn't abort.

c) I'm not sure many people have tons of abortions and "just don't care." Someone who has more than one abortion, IMHO, has serious psychological issues that need to be addressed, even if those issues are only caused by the pain and trauma of the abortion itself.

In short, we will always have those who abuse rights, but I would rather have rights abused in this quasi-democracy than to be stripped of all my rights. People make choices EVERYDAY I disagree with.

There's a difference between personal belief and respecting the (non-harmful, or only self-harmful) choices of others.

My Personal Choice If I Were Pregnant:

If the baby were healthy or had a disability like blindness or deafness, which can be accomodated for, allowing her or him to live as a functional adult on his or her own: I would place the child for open adoption.

If the baby would not be capable of caring for himself or herself as an adult: I would terminate the pregnancy.

My Outlook For Others:

Get an abortion (if you want it) before the child can live outside the womb for an extended time. Do not cause unnecessary suffering. If you have seven or eight abortions, I will recommend psychiatric help, but any resulting infertility is your burden to bare.

8. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Here's the (literally) fatal flaw in your "logic." If you can look at the photos I referred Sera to earlier and still conclude that such horrific violence is somehow not cruel, then you're hopelessly deluded.

You might also be interested to know that many serious health defects can now be treated in utero:

http://fetalsurgery.chop.edu/

9. Abyle

Abyle Member

Yes, they're fetuses. I looked. They are not fully developed humans. Saw the pics, read more abortion lit than you can imagine. It's cruel to create unwanted children who are nothing but societal leeches who will probably be mistreated. There are a lot more health risks from back alley abortions. An abortion is far more kind than creating a life that will never know what it is to explore the world before it as a free human being. I sure wouldn't tell a mother whose baby has Tay Sach's it's kinder to watch her baby slowly suffer to death. Please, you go tell her. You go tell the adoptive mothers of children with RAD who had to place their children in psych. facilities that abortions are wrong. When you get to heaven, PLEASE inform the mothers and fathers who died and left behind their mentally challenged children who were mistreated after they keeled over that abortion is wrong. Before you call me "deluded," research both sides.

10. Abyle

Abyle Member

Also wanted to say the link was useful. Not all things (like chromosomal disorders) can be treated in utero. Having said that, I'm not posting anymore on this topic. It's just hateful if we're not both totally open about listening.

11. bellystar

bellystar Member

I could never bring myself to have an abortion, but I have two close friends who have had them. I can understand why a woman's right to choose is so important.

12. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Has anyone stopped to see the irony that this list was written by a dude?

13. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Huck, I've miscarried in the first trimester. MY miscarraiges didn't look ANYTHING like your pictures! Neither do the miscarraiges of ANY of the womyn I know who have miscarried.

Those pics are second trimester pics, or even wax models. We've been through this before. No one is going to beleive you, or listen to your arguments if you feed them lies.

14. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

15. taxrefund90

taxrefund90 Member

yeah, i'm for a woman choosing, but feel that a woman should only choose when
    1) either the baby or the mother will die 2) the baby will be born with defects and will need many surgeries, medications, and therapy 3) the mother will not be able to take adequate care of the baby. I dislike people who get abortions because they don't feel like taking care of the baby, and they get multiple abortions for this reason.

16. xthevalkyriex

xthevalkyriex Member

I'm unapologetically pro-choice, and believe that a woman not wanting to go through a pregnancy is reason enough to abort, if she chooses.

17. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Quite frankly, I think every person against abortion should sign away part of their income to pay for pre-natal care, hospital, and doctor's bills in order for an unwanted child to be carried and born. Then, if the mother cannot part with the child (I've read of many babies being born and then the mother growing attached to the child or being pressured into not putting the child up for abortion), that money should go to raising the child.

Abortion is more humane than child neglect or newborns being thrown into dumpsters. It happens even with abortion, but the number would jump even higher without it.

While I never think I could go through an abortion on my own, abortion makes much more sense than causing more harm to the mother and potentially the child. Also, any more than 2 abortions and your tubes should be tied automatically (with the exception of rape or health problems). If you're that irresponsible with your body then you don't deserve to bring anyone else into the world.

18. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

While I am pro-choice, I feel that the more important issue is why abortion exists in the first place. We need better sex-ed in schools...lets face it, kids are having sex. There is no denying it. We need to accept the fact and teach them how to prevent these unwanting pregnancies and also protect themselves from STDs. If you want to stop abortions, great. It would awesome if no one ever had to make that decision. But, they do. And while I would never choose to have one, I am in no position to judge anyone who choose to have an abortion.

19. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

Part of my paycheck does go to mothers and children already. Medicaid, Aid for Families with Dependents, Food Stamps, WIC, Headstart, etc. Heck at one point I was on a program called JOBS besides everything else. They paid for daycare, school, gas money, and a few other extras.

I do agree that the cause needs to be addressed but not by schools by parents. I am responsible for my child's education, sex included. ;-)

20. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I totally agree with you that parents need to step up to the plate. But, unfortunately, there are SOOOOO many parents that won't talk to their children about sex at all!! Whether they are embarassed, think it is taboo to even talk about, think talking about it will make the kids want to do it, etc. So many parents lack greatly in communicating with their children. That's why schools NEED to have better sex education