The Satanic Bible?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by ClintonsSon, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

Have you ever actually read TSB? Were you, like me, stunned by just how Lavey hits the nail right on the head about so many things in it? Any thoughts about it? DO you own a copy? (I do.)

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, it's Humanism basically.

It's not Satan Worship at all.

1 person likes this.
  3. ClintonsSon

True...because that is what Satanism really is.....just humans putting themselves first. Satan is just a "logo", a "symbol" of freedom from bondage to dogmas and rules and strictures and all of that shit of superstition!

4. Aerianne

Yes, that's the way Lavey taught it.

5. ClintonsSon

He was on the ball I think myself. The Halloween aspects of the COS and TSB were to make it exciting and mysterious really!

6. Aerianne

Yeah, Lavey said the whole "Satan" thing was to kind of thumb his nose at Christianity.

7. DeputyHawk

DeputyHawk Members

Yes, I have the book. I thought LaVey was impressive when I was a teenager but I can't say the same now. I would rather just read Nietzsche instead. If anything, "The Satanic Bible" is great for kids who grew up in Christian households that wish to decondition themselves. However, one must move beyond that phase at some point. Besides, his work has no real basis in actual occultism which he openly denounces in the book. In fact, he was very much the materialist who was more ego-driven than anything else. LaVey's rituals are suppose to be "psychodrama" for the readers, rather than anything magical. LaVey was not any kind of authority on the left hand path, which has more to do with tantra than it does with Ayn Rand. His estranged daughter, Zeena was more on point with her book, "Demons of the Flesh", which is very much worth the read.

8. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I purchased a copy from Value Village for 99 cents. It was a book that I felt I "must read" (those usually drag on...)

The book comes off as one long self-congratulatory pat on the back. I wasn't impressed.

This sums it up.

9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

satanism is christianity

10. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Underwhelmed, just read like a rip-off of Nietszche, Rand and a touch of Freud. I can see it being exciting to read at the time, but it hasn't aged well, IMO, and people being generally more widely read in philosophy/theology has neutered its impact. I think I have a copy somewhere.