the roaring 20's and Depression era America

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by BlueLightRain, Jul 24, 2013.

1. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

can anybody recommend a good book about depression era America? I'm looking for something about the depression era or the 20's in the city, not so much about the dust bowl. It doesn't have to be a "textbook" style account, just looking for something about the Rockefellers, New York City, that kind of thing. I have read a bit about the dust bowl. It's interesting, but I watched this documentary on the stock market crash and it got me interested in the roaring 20's and city life between 1920 and 1935ish.

2. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Back in the 70's I read a book called "Zelda" by Nancy Millford that might interest you. Zelda Sayre was married to the author F. Scott Fitzgerald. I remember it being a fascinating read at the time. It is the right time period but don't remember how much it discussed the Depression.

3. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

The Great Gatsby. the original one. It's fiction, but it might be what you're looking for.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Ditto. Its the classic of that whole era.