The Republicans need to get back on track

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Nov 14, 2018.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Whether they went to the moon or not, the video are their proof in court that they own property there. Putting up a golf course is just how the developers move into the neighborhood. Since discovering that Mars might not be habitable in the long run, they're investigating an orbital spinning space station, because a huge part of the problem is low gravity is bad for your health. You can shield an orbital station using plasma fields, but you still need a shelter in the core that's heavily shielded against the worst solar radiation. Storms in space are bad, with the solar wind moving at a million miles an hour normally.

NASA is working on a warp drive, which should be ready in about fifty years.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So even if they didn't go to the moon they still own property on it? Lol. Ok. Well I do too then in sector LV46 it needs to be Terraformed and I've nominated you as boss in Irminsul Industries to take a small team there and make that air breathable. Muuhahahha

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

The Republicans need to divorce themselves from social conservatism. They seemed to be going down this path until 2016 with Trump's election reigniting neoconservatism in dangerously far-right kind of way. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't appear Trump is bolstered by grumpy old white men, but by very angry young white men. Conservatism has gone from fiscal responsibility and limited government to social conservatism and evangelicalism to, what is appearing like, some kind of radical white nationalism. So it isn't simply liberal and conservative. There are many shades of conservatism within the Republican Party. And therein lies the problem. The GOP is going through an identity crisis.

On the one hand, there are people who are fiscally conservative, who support ease in regulations, increased trade, and a strong national defense. On another hand, you have people who support legislation at the federal level to force us to live like some romanticized version of their own private 1950s utopias. Never mind gay people were hiding in the closets. Never mind women couldn't get jobs outside of being a teacher, nurse, or secretary. Never mind Jim Crow still dominated the South. Never mind we were throwing billions at a proxy war in Korea. Those were, apparently, the days. And then there's the white nationalist crowd that seems to support any and all Republican legislation aimed at blocking brown people from entering the country. So, what is the GOP? What defines the party anymore?

We'll see what's what when the dust settles I guess.

4. wooleeheron

Money and the guns do all the talking worth listening to in modern day Babylon, and they use film footage to gain the support of the mindless mob. Only since Donald Duck got in office have the idiots even begun to admit the world economy is nothing like a free capitalist market. Its empire baby, and this train ain't stopping until she derails, so be prepared to duck lower than Donald Duck. The reason Palestinians don't have a real claim on Israel, is because they simply cannot defend the land, while all the Muslims in the neighborhood find it unacceptable, to have Jews in their midst when they hardly tolerate each other and commit acts of terrorism against Muslims even more often than outsiders.

Thankfully, computers are about to take over control of the economy and weapons, because the only economic alternative is give them control of the Stock Market. Terrorists blowing themselves up are declaring their property rights, but that's no way to live.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I almost tagged you here earlier to ask for your perspective, since you are a sane and intelligent conservative and all. But I didnt want to put you on the spot. So i'm glad to see you ended up posting

I sincerely hope the party eventually defines itself by people like you.

Trump is going to do one hell of a number on the party first though, before libertarian minded younger people take over

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was going to make this exact same point. There is very little difference between typical corporate Democrats and typical corporate Republicans. They definitely support the same foreign policy. Domestic policy may vary in theory on certain points but the results generally seem to be the same.

I am pleased to see the Democratic party moving further to the left in response to the Republican party moving to the far right though. Hope we keep seeing a steady march to the left from them as millenials age and take the reins.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The only way this country functions properly is when both parties actually compromise and make laws that work for everybody...

As it is this is not happening at all.

8. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

You've pretty well stated why I can't in good conscience vote Republican, not a straight ticket anyway. Don't give a damn what god a person likes, what kind of sex consenting adults like or any of the other social shit that consumes so much of the Republican thought processes. I like the fiscal responsibility of the old Republican party of George Will and William F. Buckley, and I love the attitude of P.J. O'Rourke. That's not saying I'm against social safety nets or that I agree with my conservative idols all the time; quite the opposite in fact. It's just that Republicans used to be, umm, more educated and deeper in thought than these neocons we have these days. That's the impression I get anyway.

Until the GOP gets its shit together I vote Libertarian whenever I have the option.

Okiefreak and Noserider like this.
  9. wooleeheron

A study of Wall Street traders concluded that, no matter what their espoused beliefs, their ethics went up and down with the stock market. The idea there was ever anything sane about the US is the same lie the slave owners kept screaming at the top of their lungs, before they declared war on the north, when both were making money hand over fist and the north had bent over backwards to appease the south for over twenty years. The fucking Neo-Nazis are a cannibalistic culture with the worst social record in the entire developed world, and anything that does not address their fundamentally dysfunctional behavior is a waste of time. There is no point talking to such people, when they are merely behaving like indignant chickens, but you can use systems logics to automate the entire process of waking the idiots up to the reality of what they are doing to their own children and themselves. Fuck em if they can't take a joke, and joke em if they can't take a fuck, but this fucking shit has got to stop, and there are fucking consequences to lying to yourselves.

10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The intresting thing about your replies is that no one seems to be disputing in any fundamental way what I posted.

That is worrying

Also after rereading my posts I realised that I did miss one thing out that might be another source of friction and that it’s the way the right might use obviously right wing judges (especially on the Supreme Court) to block the policies of a popularly elected Democratic government. If that happens it could spark a number of constitutional crisis.

So I suppose the question is what can be done?

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think that Sasse (R-NE) is a level headed politician, though I don't know what committees he might be on or his position on policy. But I've heard him talk. He doesn't stammer or struggle for words. Seems pretty smart; went to Yale and Harvard as well as St. John's College. He could be on track for leadership in the coming years, but I don't know anything about the processes involved or if he may intend to get out of politics.