The Rainbow Rag

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Rover-Lass, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Rover-Lass

Rover-Lass Member

Hey guys. You may remember the 'alternative lifestyles' zine that Fleassy and I tried to start up a while back... well, we've been thinking and we'd really like to resurrect it, but with more help this time. It was looking good and had some great stuff in it, (so thanks for all the brilliant contributions) but the format simply didn't work - it was too big a file to send out to all the millions we had on our mailing list.
    But we would like to begin again, as we really think it is needed. Of course, a website is an obvious choice - easily updated, etc, but i simply haven't a clue where to begin. A paper 'zine would look great but would be very costly.
    I think if we were to make a real go of it, we'd have to have a dedicated team who took on specific posts in order to get it done. It turned out to be quite a bit of work last time, and as we're both at uni, it was getting left behind sadly.
    Any ideas?

2. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

heya all.
    Thanks for posting that Rover :) yea basically the first and biggest "some one" we would need would be someone who knew how to do websites and would be up for doing that for us. They would have the creative control of putting it all together and updating it. If they found designing it too much hastle we would put in say and help out about what could go where and they could just do it or they could hhave controll of picing it all together and then we all just disscussing what works and what doesnt.

also people to take control of different parts of the site.

And also as always people to contribute bits of art, poetry, articles for the site. Last time the poetry section was bursting and the gig reviews were full.. but it lacked elsewhere. We had a few beautiful pieces from people but it would be really good to have some informative bits about "alternitive living" or if youve read a thread on the forums which has really got your mind ticking you could wright a quick piece about it :)

Alnything you want really

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

If you want to do it as a website, the best thing would be to sit down and plan out a rough draft of how you'd like it structured. Decide what sections you'd like and what sort of content. Decide what you'd like on your front page. Decide how you'd like your menus structured. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone who'd build the site, but you'd ideally need to give them some ideas to work with. You also want to keep it simple enough so that if your web designer went AWOL it wouldn't be too complex for someone else to pick up. You'll also need to think about a domain name and hosting costs. Don't even think about bothering with free shit like geocities. I'd suggest http://www.ukhost4u.com/

4. TheFly

TheFly Member

I know fuck all about website design... anything technical and I'd be no help whatsoever...

However, if you want somebody to contribute some rantings and ramblings about culture and stuff, then I'm happy to put together anything you desire...

Fly...

5. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Well if you need any poetry, my pen is at your side....

6. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

thanks guys. This is going to be a lot of work, as university and stuff comes along with it... it might take a while before anything come to form (like hopefully not another year but we never know... we're buisy girls :p )
    Dok your right it would be wise for me and her to sit down and structure things out... if only we'd actually met and lived near each other :S ..... thank snoopy for MSN!!

7. Iago2

Iago2 Member

Any film video or animated related malarky we can contribute to would be a great honour.

8. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

Use freewebs for a site...

9. Rover-Lass

Rover-Lass Member

There's this fanzine in Manchester who I sold hemp for over the weekend and they seem to produce a paper magazine cheaply... www.paper-cut.co.uk

10. fluffyhelen

fluffyhelen Member

I can do web-design! If you need any help, just let me know and I'll assist where I can. I have hosting and stuff which is going to waste at the moment as we got another server, yeah.. I can do web design.

;)

11. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Fluffyhelen..... why do you have a 2.9 meg image on this page?!?! Compression girl, compression! Anyone on dial-up would be waiting the best part of 15 mins for that page to load!

12. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

hey! thats the idiots who made the union's website, ....so not her fault, but they are idiots

13. Iago2

Iago2 Member

Anything happening with this project then?

14. fluffyhelen

fluffyhelen Member

I never designed that site! Don't tarnish my good name with the bad works of others..

;)

Check out www.teenhelp.org if you want to see my lovely designing skills, although it's not the best site I've done.

I can't really post the other links as they were for charities and done voluntarily.

:)

15. Dandelion_Blood

Dandelion_Blood Gremlin

unsticky this thread, but if peeople post again more stuff about the rag i'll put it back as a sticky