the problem wiht taking in stray cats in colorado...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mynameiskc, May 24, 2006.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

is there's a leash law here for cats. hmmmm...my cats are just wild animals that stay with us because there's a warm safe place and food. i've tried just putting collars on them, it's horribly traumatic. in new mexico and southern colorado it was nice, because they're great mousers. twice we've lived in places with rodent problems that came to an abrupt halt when our cats got there.

i don't know what to do. our cats are pretty much housebound, with their happy forays in the front and back yard when we're out there. when we go away for a couple nights, i think kai's cat goes looking for her. but other than that, we've never had a complaint. dishes caught a fledging bird a couple days ago after i put her on a diet. we saved the bird and gave her to the humane society. that's when we found out about the leash law.

so i guess when we go out of town now we have to board them. poor things. it's not like they're rampant murderers of wildlife or pillage other people's gardens. they're never further than our yard when we're home. but damn, i don't want someone who hates cats for some unknowable reason to just get spiteful because they see it without a leash on it. you know it happens. some people have an irrational hatred of cats.

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

A leash law for cats? Pssshhh, there's our tax dollars at work right there, making up ridiculous laws that needn't be made in the first place.

3. mynameiskc

well, i can understand with some nuisance cats and such. or the ones that kill off hundreds of birds or whatever. they can be a nuisance and should be dealt with. but a leash law? that's just craziness. you try to do something good and take in a stray, then they tell you you have to basically cage a wild animal. jeez.

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

How agressive can cats really be?

I mean if you see one comming, theres not really much it can do to you. Wouldn't want to be caught from behind by a really pissed off tabby though.

Leash law seems a little overboard. They should have laws trying to adopt all the strays rather then make people put leashes around pets.

5. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

Leash law or collar? Who walks a cat on a leash? lol

6. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

There is a leash law for cats here in Georgia too. I was going to adopt a cat from the pound but they wouldn't let me because I told them I wanted an outside cat. That's how I learned about it. I ended up getting one from a lady with an add in the paper. Oh and I built a house for my cat I leave one of the higher side doors open when I go out of town. That way he can hide from dogs and such.

7. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

When I was a little girl, I tried to take one of my cats on a walk around the block...on a leash. Let's just say we didn't get very far. The cat had a fit so the leash came off and I never tried it again! :p

8. mynameiskc

well, should anyone complain, i'm gonna leash both my cats and drag their struggling, balled-up little yowling bodies back and forth in front of their house EVERY DAY until they understand.