The Power of Nightmares

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by revolution_time, May 29, 2007.

1. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

I just finished watching this BBC documentary. I am currently mind-fucked and outraged. This really is a must see. Not only will you discover the common roots of the neo-conservative movement and the radical Islamic movement, but you'll see what a facade this war on terror really is.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/powerofnightmares#view

It comes in 3 parts, each being an hour long. I highly recommend watching all of them. It gives you the complete picture. But if you just can't do it, at least watch part 3.

2. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

There is another thread about this - I can't find it but i've seen it.
    I just say that because it does seem like your not getting any response.
    Possibly because those that wanted to comment on it - have already.
    *shrugs shoulders*

It is a good series - but do remember it is only a point of view - well informed as it is.
    It is not completly with out its biases and everything else that goes along with a POV.

3. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

I'm glad someone else has discovered this. I know it's only one of several different point of views out there, but after being bombarded with the same one day in and day out, it's refreshing to get another.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I saw this years ago. It's a very good documentary, though it's nothing I didn't already know. I will go beyond saying that al-Qaeda is just some made-up bogeyman. I will say what the facts suggest, and that is al-Qaeda is a CIA-MI5-Mossad creation. Most people don't even know where the name "al-Qaeda" comes from, or what it means. It means "the base," and in some Muslim countries it is slang for going to the toilet. The name al-Qaeda actually comes from a CIA file on the Mujahadeen fighters we funded in the late 80s to go up against the Soviets.

5. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Yeah like Pressed_Rat I watched it a long time ago - when it first came out
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm .
    I like you thought it was refreshing to get another point of view.
    The point is I do not think the thesis could be sustained and maintained in ''normal'' politics - too many variables and ''inconvenient truths'' abound and put into question a lot of what is said within the films.

That does not detract from the brilliant job the filmaker did.

Are "al-Qaeda" a made up bogeyman - I do not think so.
    The name is imho used and abused a fair bit all over the place - from the media to tiny islamic fundementalist organisations claiming they are connected to it in some way - that ofcourse gives them a horrid credance.
    Was OBLs group prior to the formation of "al-Qaeda" sponsored by the CIA - I have no doubt it was - The point is there goals and ambitions and importantly ideology has altered. The fallacy imho is that it is being continued to be supported by the CIA or whatever other govermental organisation one wishes to attach to it.

If you liked ''The power of nightmares'' you may also like another programme at the moment i'm at a loss to remember it :& but it will come to me sooner or later. In a nutshell:
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3393794&postcount=182
    If you type into google any of those philosophers and OBL/"al-Qaeda"/Tony Blair/President Bush/any anarchist leaders you wish to name - you maybe suprised what you learn. That most deffinitly expands the paradigm past the narrow mass medias view of the world imho.

6. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Why if you admit it was supported and formulated by the CIA, do you now think it has taken on a new formulation? Funny after all the lost lives and expense, Bin Laden is the only enemy number one that hasn't been captured. The world powers can't capture this man? Why not, we started a war so we could execute badly Sadaam. We've spent billions why haven't we been able to "smoke out" one tall arab, that looks like no one else?

7. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I never said it was ''formulated'' by the CIA - I said the group OBL was heading prior to the formation of "al-Qaeda" was sponsored by the CIA - I don't have much doubt about that.
    There is a big difference.

Ofcourse OBLs raison d’être has altered - pretty much why he decided to front another group. His tactical shifting of ''policy'' is apparent in every other ''letter to the world''.
    He has now become ''our'' enemy. His new ideolology for ''peace'' is different to the majority of the world [not just the western world].

Have you never seen :

[​IMG]

lapping up 'western excess'' - He now decrys as evil anti Islam American imperialist etc etc etc . Clearly the mans philosophy has altered more than once over the years.

He is more than likely dead.
    The majority of other key players where not hiding - they made their locations apparent to the outside world - Or they were sold out by those around them. It was only a matter of time before saddam was found.
    The point you are driving at is ''we'' are allowing him [OBL] to be free - wich I fundementaly do not agree with.

8. gardener

There is a big difference?
    And George Bush's hasn't? Showing teenage pictures of arabs sent to school in the US isn't changing my mind.

If that's true than why not inform the western world, with all our expensive intelligence, why is keeping his death a secret important?

9. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Yes one suggests that the CIA is telling OBL what to do now.
    The other suggests that the CIA supported OBL prior to OBL altering his philosophy.

Not just any family the Bin Laden family.
    Is Bush decrying the excess of western living ? nope.
    I was just pointing out the mans philosophy has altered.
    At some point he liked what the west had to offer - now he despises it.

I don't know if it is true - that is why I said ''more than likely''.
    The inteligence services already are toying with the idea he is ''more than likely'' dead - like me they do not say ''HE IS DEAD''.
    The man has to be on a machine to support his life - the possibility he has lost his battle with life is a distinct possibility.

10. gardener

I don't think he despises it, I think he's making a fortune off it. He's the ultimate marketting tool.

11. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

No I don't think he despises the rate of interest afforded to him by the banks he has money within.
    Neither do I think he despises ''western'' technology that keeps him alive and in contact with the outside world.
    There is a deep level of hypocrisy within him - that is for sure.
    No doubt he has made money from his philosophy - it is just a shame he funnels that money into his activities.

12. gardener

No more hipocrisy for him, than that of the christian right that also profit and channel their funds into the war machine.

13. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Now how did I know you would say that *ponders* :rolleyes: