the potato thread

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Samhain, May 16, 2006.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

so I thought we could have a potato appreciation thread (funny name for a hip forums member- haha:confused: ) and i will do a poll up above (where you can pick more than one option), oh by the way nimh if you wanna merge this with my potato salad thread I won't be offended.
    anyway, Ive heard that the skin of the potato has more vitimn C than an orange- is this true anyone know??
    and if so if you boil them or bake them as opposed to chipping or frying them could they be classed as one of your five fruits and veg for the day?
    S
    [​IMG]

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Being a mama with Irish in her blood, I love my potatoes! Yummy! I rarely ever fry them though, I bake them or boil them, and I usually keep the skins on, unless I'm making mashed potatoes.

One of my favorite things to make are baked potato wedges. Usually I nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes to soften them up a bit, then I cut them into wedges, sprinkle on whatever seasonings I'm in the mood to use, then spray with nonfat butter flavored cooking spray, pop them in the oven and bake them until golden. It's good, and fat free. :)

3. Samhain

did you see the poll, you can make mash with skins on yummy and it keeps the goodness too!
    S

4. hippychickmommy

I've never tried that before! I wonder if my kids would eat mashed potatoes like that. They like the skins on the potatoes on any other potato dish I make though. In fact, my younger son actually peels the skin off and eats that first!

5. Samhain

I used to eat them raw as a child, ive heard thats not good for you
    S

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I have read that if you boil them with the skins on, it helps hold in the nutrients and then remove the skins after, if you wish....

7. hippychickmommy

Wow, you ate them raw? Yuck! :p Heck, I start gagging if my potatoes are al dente. ;)

8. Samhain

lets just say I cut a slice off and ate it, not the whole spud!
    S

9. hippychickmommy

And here I was picturing you walking around eating a raw potato like an apple!

10. Samhain

what us English do behind closed doors doesn't bear thinking about :D
    S

11. hippychickmommy

12. EMMAh

EMMAh Senior Member

I always talk about how potatoes are one of the best things out there :D I mean almost every good food you make has a potato in it...

13. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

potatoes are a famine food, meaning that in the past pple would only eat them when they're starving. they're not very nutrient dense at all. and they're soooo starchy.

there are so many nutritional choices that i would make over potatoes. they're at the bottom of my list, right along with refined sugar, really.

at the very least, if i ~had~ to have a potatoe, i'd have a little bit of sweet potato. at least there's some beta carotine there.

starchy, low nutrient foods like potatoes are part of the reason that so many north americans are so fat. the potato displaces foods that have a higher nutritional value. so, the person has a full belly and still craves food because their nutritional needs werent met by the starchies. :( it's a vicious cycle, because most pple will just eat more starchy foods with low nutritional value, once they get going. carbs crave carbs.

14. starduster

starduster Member

i just love homefries w/ onions. Being PA dutch i can never get rid of the potato plus my sons favorite food is mashed taters

15. Samhain

come on someone musthave something else to say about spuds we nearly lost this thread!
    S

16. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I reckon that I need a dosage of carbs. It all depends on the amount of energy that I am burning. I try to avoid eating potatoes every day, so I include pasta and rice in my diet. If I eat too many potatoes I find I get lethargic.

17. Samhain

do you turn into a coach potatoe (sorry bad joke)
    S

18. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

No and the singular is potato not potatoe.

19. Samhain

well I stand corrected
    S

20. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

but bilby, those are all 'white foods', starchies without any of good antioxidants found the brightly coloured foods like yams, carrots, apples, grapes, blueberries, artichokes, avocadoes, etc etc etc. yes we need a certain amt of carbies, but not the empty cal white starchies that dont have anything else to offer! :)

peace out fellow foodie,
    nimh