The only thing that sux about a vacation...

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Au Naturel, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Member

is returning to work. I was off all last week celebrating spring break with my kids. And, of course, didn't wear shoes at all the whole time.

The first weekend, we met my mother and sister in Seagrove, NC to do some pottery shopping. Seagrove has over 100 potters, each with their own store. We bounced around all day from one shop to another. I was BF the whole time. The shop keepers were all so nice, we are even friends with some of them since we frequent their business so much. Not one word was said about my BF. We ate at a local diner, again I was BF. In fact, one of the waitresses was BF also.

On Sunday of the same weekend, my family and I went to Hanging Rock State Park to do some hiking. This was my first BF hike of the year. What a feeling to finally feel the trails under my feet again. On Tuesday, the family loaded the bikes onto the rack and headed for the New River trail. This is a rails-to-trails bike and horse trail that winds along the New River in Virginia. We rode for 40 miles round trip. I had installed my old, plastic pedals on my bike so I could ride BF. At half way, we stopped at a small gas station/deli to eat lunch. No problems this day either except for the persistent muscle aches from riding so far all at once.

On Wednesday, I spent most of the day working on my house remodeling project. I had to go into town to my favorite hardware store for something. I usually go bf anyway, this was no exception.

On Friday, the family and I took our dogs up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for some hiking. When we got to our favorite trails, it was cold and windy and looked like rain. I didn't mind, but the wife wasn't thrilled and wanted to head back. As we headed back, it began to warm up. We stopped at a closed ranger station and hiked the trails behind it. Some more good bf hiking was had. On the return trip home, we stopped at the bottom of the mountain to do some antique shopping. There are a few small antique shops that are crammed to the rafters with cool junk. We spent a few hours shopping while the kids played with the dogs.

On the last Sunday, we went to Hanging Rock again and hiked 2.5 miles up the mountain. Hiking bf is easy uphill since you can take your time, but coming back down is tricky since gravity is working against you and the forces encountered by your feet can take their toll, especially if you step on something that's hidden under the leaves. I did find some sharp rocks with my instep, but no injuries were reported.

The other days I didn't mention were spent at home doing landscaping and lawn mowing, the usuall boring stuff. Since the weather was absolutely perfect, 80's all week, I managed to get some color on this pale body. I love tan feet.

Now that I'm back at work, I'm constantly reminded how much I hate shoes. I can't wait until lunch when I can kick them off for an hour.

2. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

What about being constantly reminded about how much you hate work? Haha, that's usually my feeling anyways. Sounds like a good vacation, glad you had fun.

Oh, and you're right about hiking uphill/downhill. I experienced that in the Porcupine Mountains in NW Michigan last summer. I actually busted my toe on the last downhill of the trip, which sucked. But really, it was totally worth it, hiking is much better done barefoot. But yes, be careful coming down.

3. shine_crazydiamond

shine_crazydiamond Member

what does BF mean?

4. NudistMike07

NudistMike07 Member

It Means "Barefoot", people just use BF here cuz its easier.

5. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

BF can mean Barefooted, Barefeet, Barefootin' a Barefooter it's a very useful abreviation around here.
    AN : What a great recap of your week - I'm sure you remember a whole lot of interesting textures most people never experience. and everyday of barefootedness is a vacation from shoes.
    t'BTM: I know what you mean about the downhills. When you thinkabout it ankles and knees bend in the direction that's best for climbing. I slide more when coming down slopes than going up. With my weight more towards my heels. Are you using barefoot friendly pedals on your bike trip?