The next elections (2018/2020)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeorgeJetStoned, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Do you vote?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2020.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nunya fkin business

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, but it fluctuates between more than 2 which ones are the biggest and thus there isn't a crippling dissatisfying status quo.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Frankly, I think the lot of this administration will be out before 2020. Except perhaps that tight-ass xtian, Pence.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I see. It’s better to have more than two parties. There’s just way too much groupthink going on when there’s only two. Seems that too many people are afraid of disagreeing with their packs and affiliations. Diversity of thought is discouraged nowadays. But I suppose it’s easier to divide us all in twos rather than nines or tens.

4. Kerri

Kerri Members

I hope this becomes the reality but i suspect Teunl and Pence will serve at least the whole term

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Different world in terms of commodities than it was 15 years ago when Bush tried it, commodities have been in a slump since the GFC.

China produces 5 times more steel than the EU, 10 times more than the US. And the US doesnt import all that much from China.

I dont think he is going to get the 35% tax on foreign cars through, thats just politicking.

But the steel one is a smart one.

The industry has shifted since Bush tried the same thing in 2002. Both US steel imports and exports are almost solely now with Canada and Mexico, who will be exempt from the steel tariffs. And on the export side, 3rd and 4th biggest customers are Russia and Turkey.

So why would he really give a shit about the EU on this topic

machinist likes this.
  6. Asmodean

It was already explained but ok:

Because the US exports plenty of stuff to the EU, on which they're gonna pay tarrifs now as well. Or quit exporting to the EU of course. Either way, the US economy is not gonna benefit from it, so it really only seems smart to uninformed idiots.

The steel import tarrifs could maybe be a smart move if it was just Asia (China and Japan). But the fact is the steel tarrifs on EU steel (best quality as well) are countereffective. Its unlikely the american jobs created with it will compensate the loss of export to EU, or the EU tarrifs put on that export.

7. Kerri

Kerri Members

The surest way to tell the tarriffs (a 19th century tactic) are a bad idea is every big US business is against them

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The summit meeting with North Korea is something the North Koreans have been pushing for with several U.S. Presidents, to legitimize their leadership and show the world that the United States treats their leader as an equal. Our Presidents have consistently turned them down, because they didn't want to give them that until real concessions were made. Trump's spur of the moment decision is an effort to grab headlines. Getting those two unstable leaders in the room together is dangerous. Trump knows little about Asia, North Korea, or international politics and being easily played by flattery.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  9. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Ah, finally, thew smoking gun!
    [​IMG]

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  10. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

So are things from the 19th century supposed to be bad?

11. machinist

So are you for everything that big business wants? Thats not very "progressive."

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. machinist

I love how you can tell people read a few headlines and blurbs from articles and now theyre experts.

13. machinist

Vanilla Gorilla speaks truth.

Only thing im not on board with is he said he would have much preferred Hillary.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think tariffs are a bad idea. They raise the cost of goods to American consumers and trigger trade wars which cost jobs in other American industries. Most economists, especially Republican ones, agree. I see some possible advantaged to them in limited areas for protecting industries like steel and aluminum for national defense reasons and as a possible bargaining chip in trade negotiations. We'll soon find out where Trump is going with this. If Larry Kudlow becomes the replacement for Gary Cohn as chief economic advisor, Kudlow is a free trader, not a protectionist.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The US exports plenty of "stuff" does it.....only seems smart to uninformed idiots, EU steel is the best quality is it?

Goods imported from non EU countries are subjected to a value added tax of 19%

That is, the EU already has a 19% tariff on everything, you are calling Trump a moron for wanting to impose tariffs on a mere four industries, steel, aluminium, solar panels and washing machines,25% on steel. Whilst not realizing your quasi-marxist little Union has been pulling that shit since its inception

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

A reminder to all what the definition of a tariff is:

a tax or duty to be paid on a particular class of imports or exports.

Most countries have import taxes, and costs associated with import licenses

Even under NAFTA, the canadian/US is pretty much duty free, but there are still import taxes on the mexican side (discounted becuase of NAFTA, but still)

17. Asmodean

You disagree with the above statements? Why you put stuff between " "? They're not exporting stuff to the EU, and this export is not threatened to get higher tarrifs if Trump continues with his decision?
    You disagree that some of the quality of EU steel exported to the US is of a higher one than both China puts out or the US will produce on the short term?
    Could it be you may find Trumps decision bearable (and maybe even beneficial for your country) merely because Australia is excluded from it? ;) :p

No, I called him and his supporters uninformed idiots for believing this trade war he's triggering will benefit the US economy.

The EU has made use of import and export tarrifs just like many other countries and trading allignments. They were not busy destabilizing the world economy just to fool their support base about it creating more jobs and it helping the economy.

Could you perhaps explain why exactly you call it quasi-Marxist? It seems pretty capitalistic to me :p And not aiming or posing to be otherwise.

18. 6-eyed shaman

I find that most people read the headline without reading or even skimming through the article.

Propagandists know that there's a lotta people out there who won't take the time to read a whole article, so they make a very misleading title.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^That's exactly how sites like Breitbart and The Gateway Pundit and other right wing sites function. They scan other sources, taking bits and pieces from said sources to support their agenda and fashion together their own article, and write a sensational headline to grab their readers attention

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. 6-eyed shaman

Exactly, and mainstream left wing channels are totally incapable of lying and doing just that.