The Monkees "Head" psychedelic masterpiece!!!

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by Gregonzo, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

If anyone has seen this classic piece of counter culture art history. I tempt you to find a pschedelic film of this magnitude. If you have not seen it please do......

Don't let the "Monkees" goofy stimga fool you. This is directed by Jack Nicholson and, beats the shit out of "Yellow Submarine", "Sleeper", or any other related genre.

Peace Cheers, and ENJOY THE FILM!!!!

P.S. "Keep your mind on the (black box) carried by helicopter in the film.....it may hold the mystery of Human Thought.....lol......lol

2. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

I saw it Saturday night and it blew my mind! I had to tape it

(Edit):My 666th post!

3. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

Frank Zappa walking a talking cow? That gets the Derrick Stuart seal of approval.

4. Bananarama

Bananarama Member

I think Jack Nicholson was one the the producers...

5. bonoboy

bonoboy Member

I saw it years ago, it was a bit offbeat for my taste...I did see The Monkee's Live in concert at wembley Arena in 1997...And they were absolutely superb...They were certainly playing their instruments well enough that night...I always preferred their music to the Beatles...Beatles are way over-rated in my honest opinion...The Porpoise Song anyone?:)

6. rainbowpower

rainbowpower Member

Well, as i see it, there are three main generic psycadelic bands of the 60's, that people always have thought(for some reason) sounded the same: The Beatles, The Monkees, And the Byrds. Now clearly out of these three, the byrds own all. The Beatles second. And the monkees just plain suck.

7. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

it is a fantastic film. I laughed so very hard.
    I can just imagine jack nicholson and the monkees sitting around stoned out of their trees and going "omg, we'll have a giant head...and you guys can be, like, DANDRUFF!"

8. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

I agree......"The Beatles" were a bit over-rated....good band...but....

I note the Beatles for their inovations in instrumentation....and the recording styles they Stole From Brian Wilson.....lol

The Monkees did well in exploiting that "over-ratedness"....lol

""""The Porpoise Song""""" is the LOOP de film....and is the best on the SoundTrack

9. samson

samson Hepcat

this was done the same summer as Easy Rider, and you can see Hopper and Fonda walk thru at times. Hopper is even in his Billy the Kid outfit!

Its a great flick, and has some super psychedelia!

Dont forget the music - anyone know what track has Neil Young on it?

The box was used alot for the Monkees sets, they had so many guests and partied so hard they put them in a soundproof box so they would stop slowing filming down by being noisy. A lighting guy rigged a set of colored lights so the guys would know who was needed on set, and they had some deep stonings in the box!

The songs were switched as well, with each Monkee singing the others songs. Only Mikes Circle Sky is the exception, the song Davey sings that "sounds so white" to Zappa is a Nesmith song. With Mikes vocals its much more musical and less campy. By the same line, Peter Tork wrote Can You Dig It, but Mickey sings it. Just another way HEAD mixes it up.

When it was released, it wasnt promoted as a monkees movie at all.

10. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

Apparently, they called the movie "Head" in the event there would be a sequel.The advertisements would supposedly have read: "From the people who gave you HEAD."

11. bonoboy

bonoboy Member

Well if that's true, it would've been false advertising. I remember seeing it in the cinema very well, but I can't recall anyone giving me "Head"...And I was sitting on the back row...I must have missed that bit...Bugger!

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

a few things...

1. the beatles didnt have anyhting to with yellow sub other than songs and the live part at the end...
    2. the monkees, Jack nicholson, and the director got stoned one wekend, and gave each other little story ideas into a tape recorder, this became the script...
    3. the monkees did not get writing credits, all but tork rebeled by not showing up on the first day of shooting

13. Dark Star

Dark Star Member

THAT is the funiest thing ive ever heard in my life.

14. jonman

jonman Member

A few corrections: Jack Nicholson wrote and directed the movie, Fonda was not involved in any way. The DVD release has a special cameo feature where you can select a name and it takes you right to the point in the movie where that person appears. Peter Fonda is not on that list. Maybe you mistook Bob Raefelson for Peter Fonda, I don't know. Daddy's Song was written by Harry Nillson, Mike recorded a demo version of it that appears as a bonus track on the CD. Having Mickey sing Can You Dig It was not their idea. Peter Tork wrote alot of songs for the Monkees and Don Kirshner or somebody from the record label gave most of his songs to Mickey to sing because he had a nicer voice. Do I Have To Do This All Over Again, and Your Auntie Grizelda ended up being the only two songs Peter wrote that they allowed his vocal track to be released. And I never heard of Neil Young playing on any of the tracks, but someone said here, in another thread, that Ry Cooder plays on As We Go Along. That might be what you're thinking of.

15. samson

samson Hepcat

damn dude, thats a few corrections indeed - you been saving those up for me? I think that post is about three years old now! lol

Anyhoo - I will watch the flick again, Im sure Ive seen Hopper and Fonda in the scene with Rafelson and the crew walking thru the set after Peter hits the waitress. There isnt a shot of his face, but I can pick out that captain america jacket in a crowd.

It was done the same summer, and by the same brain trust as easy rider. I suspect fonda was there hanging around with no official connection to the monkees project.

I dont recall having said that it was the monkees idea to switch the vocal tracks around, as I understand it that was part of Rafelson and Nicholsons concept of switching scenes in the movie. It wouldnt surprise me if some of the scenes were written for other monkees than actually performed them in the movie.

And Neil Young is def listed on the credits on my Head soundtrack cd for As We Go Along, even mentioning him in the liner notes.

always cool to meet another monkees fan!

16. jonman

jonman Member

Yeah, Hopper definitely walks right in front of the camera it's just a walkthrough, but I've just never seen Fonda. I just joined last week and it seems the only posts I found worth responding to haven't been commented on in at least a year. There's soooo many kids here, granted some of them are knowledgeable, but it's just weird to me. So it's good to chat with the old timers. I guess the point I was trying to make about the songs was Mickey singing Peter's songs was business as usual, and the weird thing is that they actually let Peter sing one for a change, and it's the most kickass song they ever did (IMO), wish it was a little longer though. Writing Wrongs would probably be my second fave.

17. samson

samson Hepcat

Im a huge Nez fan, and love his parts in the flick. The whole movie seems to sort of mirror Mikes feelings on the monkees - right down to the lure of womens kisses at the start. When he has his birthday party scene his lines are a microcosm of his monkee experience.

Peter never got enough time or credit as a creative force in the monkees, and I also really appreciate whenever he gets a song or scene of his own. Head has some great Tork moments, Nobody lends money to a man with a sense of humor!

Davey gets some good bits in Head, I love seeing him picking boxers to fight - sonny liston lol Not to mention his exchange with Zappa - classic.

no prob on the thread resurrection, i was just surprised to see it resurface after so long. I love the Head movie, and always see something new in it everytime I see it!

I look forward to seeing what other great threads you can put some life back into, I often find the discussions that get the most frequent posts are the ones I care about the least!

see ya round the forums!

18. jonman

jonman Member

Yeah,Mind your head.Check out the Psychedelic Internet radio thread. It tells all about my weekly radio show.

19. Gregonzo

Gregonzo Member

WTF!

i forgot i even started this thread....................................!!!!!!!!!!

holy flashback

lol

20. mscatamaran

mscatamaran Member

i love HEAD (lol), the film, when i was a little girl i used to rewind my vhs and watch it every day when i got home from school. About The Beatles being overrated ---yes as much as I loved The Beatles, I was much more obsessed with the Monkees. Still to this day, I like The Monkees a lot more.. Can't say why, just do....