The meaning of life

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by stash napt, Oct 13, 2013.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

What is good and bad? I don't believe that for every 'good' deed there will be an equal opposite 'bad' deed. There is no good or bad energy. Perhaps there is energy, but to give it human traits is just glorifying humanity and is unrealistic and based on absolutely nothing.
    The universe doesn't give a fuck. Humans do, or at least should. So don't feel bad by doing a deed that you classify as 'good'. There is no way the universe will counter it with a 'bad' deed.

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I think dualism or duality either one represent a false dichotomy presented simply by the use of particular phraseology that suggests that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. However overlooked in this perspective is the fact that equal and opposite are a contradiction in terms and the more accurate equation is for every action there is an equal and complimentary reaction. This equation is perpetually redundant, from unda, (like a wave).

3. thedope

Life has a singular intent and that is to be. When faced with your sure demise you have no care whatsoever if your life or your motives seem bad or good, you only want to live. Within this desire is the sense that there is good for us in the world and we must have it. At the same time we must deal with sensation.
    Sensations are not caused by the world around us but are evidence of our own nervous systems response to stimuli. Stimuli include not only things like ambient temperature and wind speed but also hormonal secretions and diurnal or rhythmic chemical compositions of our own bodies at times causing discomfort for no apparent reason. PMS comes to mind. Not understanding the source of discomfort people tend to project dissatisfaction as having external causes and we find ourselves being less than sympathetic toward one another. People don't have bad intensions they just don't know how or where to intend themselves.

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Good and bad are human interpretations and as such not properties you can give to the universe or to energy..
    Let me tell you an old Taoist story to illustrate what I mean.

There was this old farmer and one day his best horse ran away. His neighbour came over to offer his condolances for his loss. The old farmer only said "who knows that is good and bad?"
    The next day the horse returned and brought with him 3 beautiful wild mares. His neighbour came over to congratulate the old farmer, but he only said "who knows what is good and bad?"
    The next day the old farmers son fell from one of the wild mares when trying to tame here and broke his leg. His neighbour came over to see if everything was fine and the farmer said again "who knows what is good and bad?"
    The next day the army came to pick up the farmers son to fight in the war, but when they saw he was injured they left him with his father. Then the neighour thought to himself "who knows what is good and bad?"

5. stash napt

stash napt Member

I define duality as, for every action their is an equal and opposite contrast to that action in order to give it self-sustaining and self-perpetuating definition. The idea of an equal and opposite reaction is stone age thought.

6. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

The universe operates on the basis of something called 'The Process': a system of interconnected dualities through which all energy is transferred an redistributed, converging on the source. One can live in the middle world, the microcosm (the source), or the macrocosm (the all).

This is what ppsychedelics gave me

7. thedope

That you come to your own definitions is good but equal and opposite are contradictory terms even though I understand the intent in what you say.

8. Hedgeclipper

I think of duality more as a system of polar forces: love, hate, life, death, etc, with the balance and exchange of energy between each two poles affecting the balance of every other pole.

I think of duality in terms of polar forces.

9. stash napt

stash napt Member

I like to think of it as more of a rhythmic pattern. Duality is of course the contrast of one thing to the next to give both definition, but the complexity and shifting of one seeming unbalance to the next seems to be evident of a grand cosmic symphony of sorts. Everything in the end is of course just energetic vibrations.

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

In a dualistic system opposite ends are defined as independently existing.

However, as they are opposite ends,
    They are united in the middle,
    As one can not exist without the other.

And so united in the middle,
    They are one and the same.

But being one and the same,
    The ends can not exist,
    As they are merely opposite reflections of each other,
    Neither existing on its own.

So how can the middle be defined,
    As a middle needs both ends?​

11. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

see this is yeah,

what would tri-al-ity (?) feel like?

I can assume being aware of duality, ego and self, but being aware that you're aware (all 3 parts).

Strangely it still wraps around to now a 4th part because you are 3 parts aware.

Always of course one step short (or actually, one step over-done) of becoming just one and enlightened.

eh, see. There is always that extra layer that makes it (?? 2 ) -- but perhaps truly it's not 2 but One! What is always present in how you are conscious'ing? What happens [if] the universe goes back to its one source?

&**

duality makes sense, Like someone said we operate on polar definitions, as well as our self-aware brains operate on polar thingers.

I can't quite imagine wtf 3rd, 4th, 5th + extra dimensions would mean or do, in a biological sense. I'm not so sure that's even true??

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

How does duality make sense?
    To me it makes no sense at all, even though I do understand where the need for this duality comes from.

13. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

I have only read page 6 and 7,

but what makes no sense? Do you not experience life as duality?

We might not even be talking about the same thing yet.

this is a silly argument actually lol.

14. stash napt

stash napt Member

Everything has a contrast in order to have a definition i.e. duality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlspsYxTF6o"]Alan Watts - Nothing in the Background - YouTube

15. stash napt

stash napt Member

No one can truly understand a triality or higher at this point. It's a truly beautiful thing to strive for though. :)

16. Hedgeclipper

the process has a pulse man!

It's like a string was linked from black to white, superimposed over a string linked from love to hate and another from life to death (a 6 pointed star, let's say, though the true process has infinite points) and each string is plucked, creating a wave sending energy from pole to pole, pulsing rhymically back and forth, and the vibrational energy of that wave affects the freqeuency of every other string and all these interconnected poles come together to form the harmonic beat of the universe!

It drums on and on man, like the dai wei gon (beating heart drum)

native americans have a ritual where they gather in a circle around this drum they call the beating hear drum (it looks like this: [​IMG] but bigger) and beat it simultaneously. They get into a trance and become one with the drum beat. I think it is a sort of microcosmic ritual where they become one with the process. It really does resemble a drum

/ramblings of sleep-dep.

Will explain my thinking better tomorrow, if possible

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well meaning and life are both optional. i don't see that they have a whole lot else in common.

when people complain about lack of meaning, i think they're either using the wrong word or the wrong perspective, of possibly both.

perhaps concepts like fulfillment and gratification are what they are actually talking about.

this idea, that we as a species, have to be significant, or more so then other things, was probably not a very good idea to have come up with.

the existence of every individual of every species does fulfill one thing, and that is diversity being the nature of existence.

18. lucyblue202

lucyblue202 Guest

I came to similar realizations while on magic mushrooms about some things you described, such as duality and the one source of everything. While under the influence of mushrooms, my mind expanded beyond its physical limitations and caught a glimpse into my true being and the infinite knowledge of the universe. I believe psychedelics allow the brain to function in a vastly different way then it normally would, and thus allow us to comprehend and understand things that we normally could not comprehend or understand.

19. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

20. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Is to enjoy every second you have, afterall life is short. Don't have regrets....