The Magic of the 60s

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by God, May 16, 2004.

1. God

God Member

Remember all those hippies who spoke of the 'magic' that occured back in the 60s? Shouldn't it be a message to new hippies, that they can experience the same magic, and even more, if they will just get together, and spread their loving energy.

The love revolution never ended, it has only begun

2. sila

sila Member

I think that people have become too self-centered and until more people become less focused on themselves and more focused on the population as a whole any "love revolution" will be but a dream.

3. God

God Member

but remember, the only thing you can really change is yourself.

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

some contribute this so called magic to astrology.

5. sassure

sassure Member

That '60s magic was created despite the fact that politically and globally things had gotten really ugly. But musically and culturally a lot of committed people manifested a philosophy that makes sense even today.

2004 is similar -- eerily similar -- in that politically and globally things are once again ugly as sin. There's a lot of resistance, but it's fragmented and compartmentalized. Without a single unifying voice, what can we hope to gain?

And is the music leading the way? Nope. The music isn't really politically conscious now, the way it was in the '60s when folk morphed into folk-rock and protest-folk-rock. Now the music industry itself is collapsing like Samson's temple; the music itself is escapist, even reactionary (Toby Keith, anyone?). And it's crap besides, with no new genres being born to help us ride the wave.

Oh there are a lot of folks out there who say they are anticipating the arrival of the next Big Thing. But they're looking at American Idol glitz-fests and expecting Barbie and Ken to save us from GI Joe....give me a long bloody break. "Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places"? You bet.

6. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I think the magic of the 60s is out there - and present in many people. Especially on this site - it just needs a spark.

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

the magic back then was no different than the 'magic' today.

8. God

God Member

And oh that magic feeling, no where to go, no where to go

sorry, i just had to quote Abbey Road.

9. Iacchus

Iacchus Member

What are we looking for the ecstatic experience? Or, are we willing to settle for a drunken brawl? If only we understood that Dionysus was the god of wine, and not drunkenness.

10. givepeaceachance

givepeaceachance Member

I definitly agree that it is out there. It just needs something to set it off. I also agree with sassure because since the times right now are so eerily similar to the times in the 60's it is very possible that that magic is on its way back... Maybe the music will follow the feeling this time...?

11. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

We can only hope...

12. God

God Member

man your post really hit me. The experience of ecstasy can be foudn through anything, but yeah, alcohol can help you get there, but most people just go overboard. For me, the combination of semi-drunkenness mixed with a bit of marijuana can send me to that place of ecstasy.

whatever works..

13. happy

happy Member

amen sassure! I couldnt agree more!

14. hippie_au

hippie_au Member

i totally agree with u.. most people don't care about whats going on in the world, today.they just live there lifes.

15. jendi17

jendi17 Member

I hate when people say that maybe one day the magic will come back. You can't just sit there and wait for it to come. You have to help it to come back.

16. SvgGrdnBeauty

I agree. The only problem is getting together the force to do so...

17. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Someone said, "The Yin needs the Yang, every thing needs a equal opposite"(or somethign to that effect, please correct me and tell me who said this)

So, maybe, the Vietnam war, the racial and social problems, and all the other thigns that the 60's were rebelling against were essential for the existense of such a revolution.

If I'm right, things are starting to look just about ideal for another counter-culture revolution. imagine.... 35 years from now, people look back and say, " I wish i could have lived during the 2000's"

18. SvgGrdnBeauty

Hmm...if they like rap music...lol...

Yes...it definetely is starting to shape up on the darkside...what we're looking for is the lightside to shape up...but there's only so much you can do to make others aware. It seams that a lot of our generation couldn't give a damn if the world went to Hell...They're just so consumed in this increadable materialism...and...I think that's part of where we're laking...but I do hope that your ideas of the ends justifying the means are true...

Our yang: War in Iraq, possible draft, Bush, possible amendment against same sex marraiges, affirmative action, abortion,ect....

19. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

1st, yes, it does seem that our generation is incredibly self centered, but if things get bad enough in Iraq (or anyhwere else, with anything else), people will get fed up and put an end to it. The question is how bad does it have to get before the majority of people get fed up.

2nd, "but I do hope that your ideas of the ends justifying the means are true..." what? I reread my post, and I don't believe I said anything to that effect. I don't believe that. Thinking that your "justified" in anything is a sure sign your're probably wrong.

My post about the yin and the yang thing was merely a philosophical question, interesting to think about. In order for something to exist, it must have an opposite, or so some famous philosophe believed.

Examples:

Could you even define evil if there was no good?

Could "good" music exist if their was no "bad" music?

Could the Republican party exist without a Democratic party?

Could sleep exist if there was no conciousnous?

20. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

To me the 60's was an era that can never be done again. It was a set of events that changed a people a nation. Yeah we can try to have the same values that were present during those times but those times are gone. People have definately gotten in a self absorbed bubble. It would be nice though to be in the 60's and live those times.