The magic Christian

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by autophobe2e, Jan 31, 2012.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

well now, where to begin?

i found the original trailer for this gem, but it doesn't really do the film justice. Although, to be fair, i doubt that any trailer could ever do complete justice to the total fucking insanity of this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLMsZU6NaY"]The Magic Christian Trailer 1969 Ringo Starr Peter Sellers - YouTube

this is one of those acid-drenched psychedelic fuck-making-sense comedies from the sixties, heavily influenced by Monty python (starring a few of them in minor roles).

the plot centres around peter sellers (the late, great master) playing an eccentric (understatement of the century) billionairre who decides to adopt a vagrant hippie, played by Ringo Starr, as his son and heir to his fortune (Ringo's Starr's complete lack of acting talent actually works really well in the film, given that none of it is meant to be taken seriously.) The film focuses on the absurdity of money and capitalism (although this is far from a marxist rant) and takes pot shots at the establishment and the ridiculously pretentious hobbies and pursuits of the super rich by exxagerating them to absurd degrees (hunting ducks with anti-aircraft cannons, being a "true gourmet" involves wearing a full body bib and showing your grattitude by making love to the chef on the floor of the kitchen) also finding time to take a dig at racism, homophobia and anti-drug rhetoric. It may well be that the film has a peculiar appeal to me simply because i'm English and our class system is fucked, which this film points out in hilarious ways, and because it attacks the ridiculous snobbery of British culture (sabotaging the oxbridge boat race? i say, thats simply not cricket, what?) but there are some fairly universal themes at play which should appeal to the hippie-minded the world over. That said, its definitely not a film for everyone. i simply cannot stress enough how little fucking sense this film makes. Although it has the semblance of a plot for the first half, once christopher lee as dracula appears, the film completely devolves into sheer on-screen anarchy, which is enjoyable, if you like that sort of thing, but you really just have to go with it at that point.

this film has a special place in my heart (and again, all on youtube, so a special place in my wallet too) but isn't for everyone. if youve seen it or fancy wasting an hour or two on sheer balls-to-the-wall insanity, i'd love to hear what you reckon.

2. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Downloading right now! Cant wait!

3. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

I love it too but disagree with you concerning Ringo's acting ability.
    I think he has talent beyond his drums.