The Lotus Position

Discussion in 'New Age' started by John221, Jan 2, 2005.

1. John221

John221 Senior Member

Does anybody meditate using this position?

If so, how on Earth do you manage to keep it up?

Is it possible to simply get used to meditating in this posture, if I try and adopt it often enough, or do I need to study yoga for several years so that I don't cause myself an injury?

2. gertie

gertie Senior Member

just sit in a position that is comfortable for you. if full lotus isn't comfortable, use indian style or half lotus.

3. John221

John221 Senior Member

I usually do; I'd just like to be able to accomplish the full lotus properly, 'cause I'd feel like a right proud smartarse. :D

4. gertie

gertie Senior Member

you have to work your way to lotus position.

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It depends on your body type, flexibility etc. Some people find this posture easy to adopt, others virtually impossible. It's not a good idea to force the body into any posture that gives discomfort, and certainly not worth it to impress others.

If you want to meditate, just assume a posture that is comfortable, without strain and relaxed. Meditation is not a question of gymnastics.

6. John221

John221 Senior Member

True, true.

7. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I've done the lotus position for meditation, but I've found that I'm usually more comfortable just laying down...

8. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

if yuo're only trying to achieve the lotus position to satisfy your ego, you're like contradicting the whole point of doing it

9. John221

John221 Senior Member

You're right, I was being rather unwise.

10. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

its cool, I can't help but wish it was something I could sit in for a couple hours and look like a real yogi and all

11. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

I can't do that...everytime I lay down to meditate I fall asleep! lol. So I usually sit up on my bed in Indian Style because its the easiest way to sit up straight and still be comfortable...

12. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Hare Krishna!

Dear all,

Whatever position one takes for meditation it is absolutely important to ensure that your spine and neck(Head) are on one straight line(Aligned). Comfortable position is absolutely necessary to arrest diversion of your mind towards the body's pain or discomfort.

It should also be ensured that too much of a comfortable position does not put you to sleep like SGB(Pl don't mind Nicole, just joking) when she tried to practise in lying down position. Actually it is a long drawn process of training your mind to deviate it from long- used to material things to some totally new and initially a very dry and seemingly non-existent subject.

However, initially what seems to be very difficult and boring becomes your most favourite and easy thing. It becomes a part of your daily routine and you cannot do without it. Please give it some patient time. Nothing else on this earth can be more beautiful, desirable and rewarding when you start getting the taste of successful meditation.

Love and best wishes,

Kumar.

13. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

I find that if I fall asleep while meditating, God will zap me to get my attention. I don't really worry about whether or not I am concentrating on meditation, it just happens, like breathing.

14. SvgGrdnBeauty

Hehe...I don't mind...I actually find it quite amusing... but after four or five times of waking up the next morning and realizing that I had fallen asleep I found another comfortable (sitting up) position that works for me. :)

And I agree with you about missing it when its gone...a few times I've done homework late into the night and just crashed and burned and when I've woken up in the morning...I felt a bit disoriented...and for some reason I have trouble meditating in the morning...at night is much better for me...

15. Bikshu

Bikshu Member

Make sure you knees are lower than your hips, sit on a cushon. Oh, and I'd tell you to abandon that thought if you want to be a realy yogi, but I still have thoughts like that myself.

16. BlackBillBlake

The question that occurs to me is how does a 'real yogi' look?

17. John221

John221 Senior Member

Like Paramahansa Yogananda?

18. BlackBillBlake

If so, then I've never seen a picture of him in the lotus posture.

Really though the point is that if you take up yoga for egotistical reasons - want to impress your friends etc, you will only waste your time.
    No white person is ever going to look like an 'authentic' yogi.

19. Bikshu

Bikshu Member

but some white people ARE authentic yogis

20. SvgGrdnBeauty

There's one in Autobiography of A Yogi...when he was younger...