The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Movies' started by headymoechick, Jan 6, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

They are finally making this into a movie! I can't wait to see it. It was such a trippy book! I want to see how they portray Narnia.

2. syd

syd Banned

Great, they did make a series of it though a while ago.

3. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I think they did over in Britian or something, but they've never made anything here in the US besides a few TV movies

4. goldmund

goldmund Member

Just read it to my son! Cool.

5. London Mod

London Mod Member

We have had a couple of different version already here in the UK.
    I dnt think anyone could make a bad film from this book as it is such a strong story.
    Definbatly an all time classic.

6. MossIcon

MossIcon Member

I doubt it will be too good.

7. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

i hope the movie is good because the book is great. i love the chronicles of Narnia

8. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

theres been heaps of hype about it over here, mainly because it is being filmed here (yup, in NZ this is the sort of thing that leads the national news bulletins) the latest goss is that they had to bring wolves into the country to do it - pretty random.

but i think one of the best things that i have heard about it is that tilda swanson ( i think that's her name) is going to be playing the ice queen. I think she'll be great.

as for the books, i loved and still adore the lion the witch and the wardrobe, and I liked them all up to the one called the voyage of the dawntreader? i think that's what is was called...any way, after that the symbolism got a little too transparent, even for me :)

9. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

It's amazing how many people forget that popular children's books existed before Harry Potter and it pleased me to read the posts on this thread. Whilst growing in a world that increasingly made no sense, I found the books by C.S. Lewis to offer some consolation to the barbarity that was awaiting us in adulthood. Everyday we're bombarded with images of war, famine and catastrophe from around the globe and even though we're repelled, it is easy to become indifferent over a length of time. Perhaps, a movie of this great book will help in reasserting our values, by reminding us of the positive qualities that we all have inside us, courage, truth and justice. Then again, I might be looking too deep into this. Where's my bourbon?

10. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

i love the C.S Lewis books too...i have seen the british series of it and it was ok when i was a kid but a few yrs back me and a couple of friends rented them and they were so shit! i hope the movie is good!

11. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

The problem I have with these sorts of movies is that what works well on paper doesn't always work well on screen. I enjoyed the Narnia books, but I remember watching the BBC series and thinking "oh yeah, those kids are actually a bunch of stuck-up upper class twats!". It's easier to filter such things out when reading as you're using your imagination more.

12. White Scorpion

I have to agree with Doktor Atomik on this observation and franky he couldn't have put it better. I know it's not the kid actors's fault, but having studied drama I was also witness to drama schools, which created 'little darlings' as if they were a production line in a factory. It's therefore likely that a good book will suffer on its transition to the silver screen from these unwilling puppets and the director's plight is not an enviable one. Still, until we manage to produce programmed human clones that have a higher intellectual stimulus than Dan Quaile, I suggest we turn a blind eye and enjoy the show.

13. somethingwitty

somethingwitty Member

Just for all those that don't know, those books were all written about Jesus and Christianity. I think its awesome, but I know there are alot of people on here with a seemingly unfounded hatred of Christ, so just know what the series is actually about.

14. billisgod420

billisgod420 Member

there already is a live action movie of the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. i saw it when i was in 3rd grade after we read the book!

15. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Yeah, I mean anyone would think that the christian church had been responsible for centuries of intolerance, persecution and hatred. Weird, isn't it?

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I was watching programe , and it said that when the children get onto the train at the end of the books (and i think die) they are going to heaven because of their unblemished belief and uncorruptability (i.e they stay children)..i forget .. can't say i have read the books ...and i have definitly not seen this in the adaptions i have watched :eek:

17. White Scorpion

I could be very wrong here, as my memory gets a bit fuzzy when thinking back to my youth, but I have a feint impression that these books were written for the children that had to be moved out of London during the Nazi Blitz of World War 2. I suppose I could look it up to make sure, but I'm sure there's someone with a full capacity brain out there that could enlighten us.

18. WonTon

WonTon Member

I am stoked on this movie coming out. Lord of the Rings was sucha quality film (in my most humble opinion) that i have hope. I loved this series when i was a kid and i bought it for myself when i was 24 too.
    My parents got a wardrobe when i was older and all i can think about when i am near it is how i could step in there and shut the door. feel my way thru the coats until the coolness hit my face and the branches scratch my face as I run into narnia. mr tumnus, where are you?

19. White Scorpion

I once had a balcony that had a gateway to another dimension, much like the wardrobe in the book. A friend of mine had given me a pill to take in a nightclub and when I got home I was amazed to see this rainbow bridge expanding from the edge of my balcony to another land where unicorns were grazing. I ventured to step on it and next thing I knew I was in another dimension, lying in a bed, surrounded by strange men and women dressed in white, a saline drip attached to my arm and both my legs encased in some kind of magic plaster! But the food was shit, not like the Turkish Delight in Narnia. All this gateway business is a bit of a con, if you ask me. It looks good in the books, but it fucking hurts!

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

yeah i have been in hospital as well... its fun at the start , but it starts to get boring after a while.