The Lehigh Valley Tribe

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by Grim, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Well, as you've no doubt guessed already - this thread is for all those who happen to live in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.

I know a lot of hip folk are in PA, and quite a lot are in the eastern chunk...but mostly threads about East PA end up just talking about Philadelphia and Harrisburg area ongoings.
    However, up a bit north of those, right on the border with Jersey, is a rather bustling area known as the Lehigh Valley. The major towns therein would be Bethlehem, Easton, and Allentown...with smaller ones scattered in too.
    Years back we were a pretty rural area, but recently a HUGE immigration of folks from Jersey, New York, and Washington DC has caused a very quick swing toward the urbanization of the region. I'm not so much a fan of this, but the process has nonetheless swelled our population.

Despite that, I'm often left feeling rather adrift from any other hippy types. I get the feeling there are more in this area, and so here we go...

-No, this is not a "ARHAHAHA! Let's get Together and toke up!!1" thread.
    -No, this is not a "U gots a purdy mouth & live near. Let's hump" thread.
    -No, this is not a "HOW r the prices on green in dat area?!" thread.

What this IS for is the mutual aid of fellow local hippies. Share info about cool places, news about upcoming events, organize gatherings, see about some sort of commune, all that good stuff.

-peace

2. metaphysica

metaphysica Member

hi :) i am from lehigh valley, schnecksville and allentown. right now i am in central new york for college but reside in allentown durring the winter and summer.

i always enjoy mayfair, that is an upcoming festival.

if anyone that is from the LV knows of any cool places to work im looking for a interesting job for the summer, like outside work.

3. gratefuldeadhead144

gratefuldeadhead144 Member

i live in allentown, and ive been lookin for soem cool cats to chill with and play some music. im a blues harp player and just lookin for some hepcats to hang with. peace n love

4. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

my bros in lv area & hs been years, im pretty familisr with the whole area & spent alotta time there in thre past & never seemed to notice a real happenin hippie scene altho yea mayfair & the umm isnt there a bethlehem music fest thingy..i seem to rememberthat being kina fun, but still not alotta hippies..but i guess its been a few years schnecksville seems like has a lil higher hip factor

5. metaphysica

metaphysica Member

eh, the majority of schnecksville is suburbia. not too many hippies. we are trying to prevent a evil wal mart from invading schnecksville tho, that would honestly be the death of me :(.

6. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Good luck, meta.

I live in Bethlehem. A year or two ago, we tried to fight off that giant 24/7 walmart showing up over in Palmer. It came, and within months grew to full super-center status.

Now it has spawned four other WalMarts within 20 minutes, 1 of which is a 24/7.
    And I hear another couple are in the works, including that Schnecksville one.

7. metaphysica

metaphysica Member

blah wal mart breeds faster then rabits in the spring time.

i just wrote a paper last week on how unjust wal mart is as a company in relation to Aristotles view of justice. and by purchasing from them we are supporting their unjust acts therefore making us unjust people.
    so i wont buy from them.

if the one in schnecksville comes through i would be able to see it from my house and pass it on my morning bike rides. nonononononononono.

well im going to look for a coalition against them now.

anyone going to mayfair btw??[​IMG]

8. state09

state09 Member

yeaaa!!! mayfair!

9. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Hey kids there used to be a drum circle/volleyballfest/potluck in Allentown every other sunday across from the fish hatchery. This was 5 years ago though, so check it out only if you are nearby and have time to kill then let me know. Oh, the memories. :0) Also I recommend taking up frisbee golf, there's lots of courses there and of course hippies love frisbee golf!!

10. ninfan77

ninfan77 Member

Allentown/Easton is just a lil too far to drive for me :( Pushing 2 hours.

11. flyingfeathers915

flyingfeathers915 Member

Aho...
    Have been lurking here recently and have finally decided to check in. Was wondering where I could find some like minded friends in my area. Also wanted to know if there are any older hippy ladies out there? My youngest has left and I would love to have some new friends who are going through this empty nest thing? Thanks for posting here. It's nice to see you all.

Flying Feathers

12. icantseeclearly

icantseeclearly Member

i live in bethlehem, but it pretty much sucks here ha.

13. metaphysica

metaphysica Member

why does bethlehem suck. i kind of like visiting there every once and a while they have some cool cafes and such.

14. icantseeclearly

icantseeclearly Member

well there are SOME cool places around here, but the people just suck, the youth sucks around here. All the kids around here always talk about h ow they get drunk all the time, its so lame.

15. Imitar

Imitar Member

I live near Allentown. For the most part, I think Allentown is pretty trashy. "Historical center city" Yea historical alright, if you bother to venture there (during the daytime recommended) make sure to keep your walet in your front pocket.

16. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I live in ol' Bethlehem and have found a few good haunts...the main street/downtown area provides some lovely places to walk around or sit a while, if you know where to look. I also spend a lot of time wandering along the Monocacy Creek at various points(mostly by illick's mill road).
    Sadly enough, there isn't much of a 'scene'...be it hippy, punk, counter-culture, or anything else. And the recent influx of NJ/NY people has pretty much in-filled all the spaces between the towns of the Lehigh Valley, ruining a lot of once-wonderous natural spots with housing developments and shopping centers.

17. Tor611

Tor611 Member

i'm up here in east stroudsburg at college.. about 25 min north of allentown

18. jimrose

jimrose Member

ello.

19. Stephæ

Stephæ Member

I'm in Phoenixville, word up to ya motha!

20. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Hey guys, I'm from the Lehigh Valley, so I am glad someone posted this thread. I actually did start up a local hippie meetup group called the Peaceful Vibe Tribe. We are about 250 strong and we post get togethers on the group like parties, BBQs, potlucks, attend music festivals, and even do camping and hiking. I hope all of you Lehigh Valley Hippies will join in. It's also connected to FaceBook. Here is the link (meetup.com/peacetribe)