The least of my brethren.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Eugene, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

My parents' tought me that the core of their religious beliefs was jesus' statement "that which you do unto the least of my brothers you do unto me."
    This means that the drunks, the out casts, the homeless, the whores, the drug addicts, the single mothers, the gays, the prisoners, the immigrants, the people who occupy the lowest strata of society are in effect "jesus' peeps" to use modern terms.
    So in effect, when the 700 club rails against drug addicts, gays, whores, single mothers, prisioners and immigrants they rail against jesus. When they cast stones at these people and blame them for 9-11 they cast stones at jesus and blame him for 9-11.

On armageddon, The Religious right is going to have some 'splaining to do.

2. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

Hehe, yeah they are.

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

I'm no fan of the 700 Club, but could you please be more specific with these accusations? How exactly do they "rail against" these people? Jesus was a friend of sinners, but he never condoned sin. Drug addiction, homosexuality, prostitution, and premarital sex are all self-destructive behaviors; it is not "loving" to pretend otherwise. Nor is it "loving" to ignore the social harm caused by revolving-door prisons and unchecked illegal immigration.

4. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

just curious how premarital sex or homosexuality are "self destuctive behaviours"??? while they can be in some situations i dont think thats always the case...or even the majority.

5. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

I'm not sure the "Politics" forum is the proper place for this discussion.

6. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Why not, everything is politics?

Just watch the 700 club or religoius broadcasting, odds are they hit on every one of the groups i mentioned within a coupla times.

7. tom

tom Member

Ok, I'm not a big fan of Pat Roberston but I do have to give him some credit. He actually supports and is part of a few organizations who work closely with and do GREAT things for the different prison systems around the country, inmate rehabilitation, drug and alcohol treament programs, and helping immigrants get settled in this country. If he's not personally involved with those causes, he is definately spreading the word about groups that do help out the down and out. Don't be so quick to judge. Trying informing yourself first before throwing out lies.

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Can you tell me if this 700 club has a political agenda, please try otherwise i'm sorry to say this thread will be locked.

9. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Pat Robertson is the head of the 'moral majority' the 700 club is a fake news program he anchors. He ran for president in the 80s, but more recently has been using his position as a prominent conservative christian to influence the vote.
    I don't know if you have this in England, but they are very very annoying. They distort the truth, they corrupt jesus' words, they are charlatans and worst of all they are true-red republicans.
    I watch the show sometimes out of a kind of morbid fascination, kinda like slowing down to see a train-wreck.
    He was influential in motivating holier than thou xian hypocrites to go to the polls in the last election, and might been seen as the force that crippled kerrys chances (beside all the fraud, y'know).

10. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

700 club is kind of funy to watch.Sometimes I just sit there and wonder what kind of people can swallow all the bullshit this dude is spreading.

11. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Eugene,

I agree that Pat Robertson is a flake, but you still haven't provided any substantive support for the sweeping charges leveled in your original post. Are there any specific public policy stances of his that you'd like to discuss?

12. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Actually, Eugene, Jerry Falwell is the head of the Moral Majority and its founder. Robertson, whilst a prominent member, has his own array of socio-political platforms including the Christian Broadcasting Network, Regent University and his own organisation "The Christian Coalition".

13. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

He's pointing out that the "Christians" on board with the right-wing / neo-conservative agenda train are not true christians at all. "By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them" I believe is what Jesus said.

Look at the actions and real life consequences on the ground level. How the actions at the "top" effect the people at the "bottom".

I think that this is political not just in respects to the specific person you are speaking of (cuz i have never heard of him) but also because at the core we're really talking about belief systems or "World Views".

Your World View is constructed based on how you answer certain questions about

Past: where did we come from? where the universe originates from?
    Present: Does the human species have a purpose to fulfill? Do you know your part? etc
    Future: Where are we going? Where is the universe going? Is there or is there not a plan? etc

Based on the answers to questions such as those you can derive a person's Personal Philosophy.

A Political Philosophy is an extension of a person's Personal Philosophy.

Therefore I would say this thread is most definately relevant, and a good one.

Very few people take the time to understand the actions of the people in power and they're consequences on the poor, the homeless, and all other minorities.

Do your parents seek the truth of the consequences for the current political figures in power Eugene?

14. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Well, this is what I would like Eugene to elaborate on, in a detailed manner.