The Kick Box - On Hip!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kick Frenzy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

And here I am, on...

#3:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 7%)
    (Stillwater - The Cloud)

Smells: Extremely subtle. Pithy bread. Sweet, hoppy bitter notes. Almost candy-like. Very slight earthiness in the background.

Tastes: Soft. A sly hint of bitter/pithy notes, softened by lactose and dainty oats. Like a dreamy late morning lost in the fields on a farm.

Overall, it's extremely pleasant. Seriously lovely. The can ain't lying when it says "soft and fluffy" IPA. Quite possibly one of the best beers I've reviewed. If you see this, get it immediately.

I didn't feel like spending an exuberant amount of time searching for a pic.
    so, you get something fitting enough:

[​IMG]

XD

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Was traveling in NC and stopped at a bar that specialized in Belgian beers.

Had two notably enjoyable beers:

This one was AMAZING--so unique, I've really never had anything like it. I have no idea where it can be purchased, but if you ever have an opportunity to try it, you should:

[​IMG]

Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Also tried this, which was very enjoyable, but much less unique:
    I also really liked the bottle

[​IMG]

Delirium Tremens | Brouwerij Huyghe

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

What part of NC?

Delirium Tremens was one of the first beers I ever had that wasnt an American macro brew or common import. I didnt care for it then but I might feel differently now

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

YFM,

If you like the Duchesse De Bourgogne, you would probably also enjoy Rodenbach's beers such as their 'Grand Cru' and 'Alexander'. Same style of beer (Flanders Red Ale).

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Asheville and surrounding areas. Beautiful and special country.

And PR--thanks for the rec, I will check those out, if they are available anywhere near me.

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I've recently been given a bottle of Moet, when I left my job.
    Now I just need an occasion and company to open it.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ah cool, I'm only about an hour south of Asheville. I've always loved Asheville, and it has quite the craft beer scene now!

8. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Hmm.. Flanders Red, you say?
    Like... this?
    [​IMG]

:D

Orison likes this.
  9. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

But seriously... beer.
    Specifically, drinking them.
    That thing I do.
    Tonight.

Beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 8.0%)
    (Stillwater - Wavvy (Batch 3))

Smell: Sweet, pithy bitterness floats up first. Grapefruit and orange present themselves on a thin cracker. All wrapped up in a cottony smooth summer blanket.

Taste: Bitter pith and bright notes stand out, while smooth in character. A citrusy soul with whiffs of hay casually follow up in the body, faded cracker notes adding some detail.

Overall, it seems the lactose in this DIPA comfortably smooths out what could've been a rough bitter "pill". The citrus notes, while slightly muted, still lend an overall brightness. The hints of cracker add nice detail. Not bad at all, a fairly pleasant brew actually.

And a somewhat fitting pic:
    [​IMG]

(That's Georgia May Jagger, btw)

10. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Finally on beer #2!

The beer:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.0%)
    (Saugatuck - Neopolitan Milk Stout)

Smellin: Very light on the nose with a basic lactose/malt base. Candy/ice cream sweet with a malty undertow. Ever so slightly smokey/woodsy.

Tastin: Malty sweet with an ice creamy character. Smoky wood body.

Overall, it's tasty and interesting. Probably not something to get a 6er of though.

And the best pic I could find to match:
    [​IMG]

Orison likes this.
  11. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

And now, what should be my final beer of the night.

Beer #3:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 11.0%)
    (Dogfish Head - Immort Ale)

Smells: Sweet oak wood and raisin pops up first. Hidden vanilla notes weave throughout. Maple is a distant whisper.

Tastes: Smoky vanilla wood. The body wears raisin sweetness like maple camouflage. Slight bready notes throw hints from the distance.

Overall, sweeter than I prefer, but a nice brew. Do NOT gulp this shit, it's meant for sipping. Or, at least, that's how it tastes to me.

Here's yer obligatory sexay pic:
    [​IMG]

:drool:

Orison likes this.
  12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

At mispillion brewing. I was here before but wasn't able to enjoy it. They have good distribution so had them before. This is my first time getting a flight of stuff I can't get in the store.
    Key lime pie is possibly the only lime drink I like.
    Not today Satan (makes me think of orison) is a nice bitterness but drinkable 7.3% beer.
    My favorite so far is the zj 2.0 a dipa with no strong flavors. It's almost like a dipa to introduce a bud light drinker too.
    On the praetor now. Another smooth one. An English porter that has all the taste but drinks like a light beer.

Orison likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

I thought you was Misspelling brewery for a sec.. :D

14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

For a stout? No, no, no...you need a short, thick black girl

15. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Had this the other night at one of the Karl Strauss breweries nea me: Red wine-barrel aged red trolley

[​IMG]

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Local place had 6 beers in the dollar fridge that I never had before. 4 of them are from shmaltz brewing. (They must have cracked open a variety pack.
    First was hoping orgy. Possibly the best beer in have had with that many different kinds of hops and malts. It's as if they just had a bunch of leftovers and threw them all into one good tasting beer.
    Now drinking hop momma ipa. A random sour kick seems off until I saw that it had peach, apricot, and habarnero. Now it all makes sense. You can definitely taste all three but each sip has a different profile.

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

That was hop orgy. But I like autocorrects name better.

Orison likes this.
  18. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

For some stouts, I totally agree.
    But I match the beer name more than style.

So, for Neapolitan, I tried to find something that matched the ice cream the beer was inspired by.
    Oddly, there wasn't a massive wealth of related pics that fit my criteria.
    *shrug*

But yeah, if I was matching "stout", you're on the right track!

19. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Hey everyone!
    Sorry I missed last week, but I'm here now! :)

So...

Beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 8.5%)
    (Omnipollo - Nebuchadnezzar)

Smell: Subdued wheat and slightly bitter citrus step forward, while sweet malt lays softly in the background. A pithy touch outlines overall bright notes.

Taste: Gently bitter hops fade into citrus pith. Sun-kissed wheat hovers in the background with a hint of sweetness.

Overall, this seems more like a brew fit for late summer afternoons. Some strength behind a slightly bitter, but pleasant and smooth draw. It keeps me coming back, sip after sip.

(No pic for this one... I mean, how do you find a sexy pic for something named, "Nebuchadnezzar"???)

20. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

So, done with #1 and heading on to the next one.
    Which is another beer with a name that makes finding a fitting pic a scavenger hunt I'm not willing to spend time on.
    Anywayz...

Beer #2:
    (sorry for the large pic)
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 7.0%)
    (Against The Grain - 35K)

Smells: Biscuity, sweet malt. Chocolate and coffee notes follow just behind. Then, possibly, faint raisin and banana.

Tastes: Standard chocolate/coffee stout. Sweet malt notes, but not heavy handed. Faint biscuit fills out the bank end.

Overall, there's decent flavor here. Nothing too front-forward. A pleasantly balanced stout. Maybe not a stand-out unique brew, but a solid stout nonetheless.