The Island

Discussion in 'Movies' started by paintedsocks, Jul 26, 2005.

1. paintedsocks

paintedsocks Member

did anyone else notice many similarities between the issues and personalities in this movie and the issues and personalities in Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"? ...you would think that book would've been the film's inspiration... but apparently not? what do you think?

2. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I thought the movie was two bright and shining stars (Scarlett Johansson & Ewan McGregor) stuck inside a steaming pile of cr@p. Don't get me wrong, I was entertained in a purely visceral, mindless, thrill ride way. But the plot holes were GIGANTIC, and the scene with the sign on the side of the building was asinine. Basically, it was a Michael Bay movie; big, loud and obnoxious.

I do have one additional gripe: the hand held camera should ENHANCE an action sequence, not DOMINATE it. When I left the theater after watching "The Island," I had motion sickness. To all the action directors out there right now: stop being lazy and shoot some quality action scenes.

3. Laura-the-flowergirl

Laura-the-flowergirl Long haired child

Still have to see The Island. I'm kinda looking forward to it, Ewan is one of my favourite actors. But it's not very good, you say?

4. paintedsocks

paintedsocks Member

I thought the movie was excellent. true the action scenes were overdone and obnoxious at times, but i liked the range of emotions i felt while watching the movie. anyway, my original post was to discuss the similarity between the island and brave new world... does anyone agree?

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I saw it and NO it isnt that good at all.... THE ORIGINAL "THE ISLAND" that came out in 1980 is excellent.. I would see that one if one still hasnt seen this 2005 crap......