The importance of fantasy book cover art?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by MarkH, May 19, 2007.

1. MarkH

MarkH Member

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

I usually use the cover art as a preliminary judge...but often even after seeing a cover I don't like I read the synopsis. After all it only takes a minute and why miss the chance of reading a good book?
    I've read long running series where the style of cover art changes throughout the writing, or read books by authors who I like but have published with a different art style, and sometimes I don't like them, but they're by authors I love, and are brilliant books...so...on the whole I don't think the cover art is TOO important.
    I think though for a casual reader, someone who doesn't read many books in a year, cover art can be a bigger factor. They only choose a few books, so even if there are two that sound good, they will only buy one...that most likely decided by the cover art. So...yeah, it's fairly important. But the synopsis is more so.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Congrats on the book publishing! If I see it (and like the synopsis) I'll be sure to pick up a copy. =D
    Nice cover art by the by.

3. MarkH

MarkH Member

Thanks for replying. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on my synopsis. If you do a search on Amazon, you should be able to find it!

4. Merry Mab

Merry Mab Member

If the title captures my attention, I'll look at the cover art to see if I want to proceed to the synopsis. And since your title and cover art have already intrigued me, I'll definitely be doing a search on Amazon.com to read your synopsis.

Congratulations on being published!

5. MarkH

MarkH Member

Thanks for your reply. It's great that you're interested enough to check out my synopsis. I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

6. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

The synopsis is good. It's not my usual type of book, though I do read fantasy. I must admit I am intruiged, and if I see it in any book shops around here I'll be sure to flick through and (if the flick through appeals) buy. It sounds a great book though, whether it does or doesn't turn out to be my type of read.

7. MarkH

MarkH Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying!

If it doesn't turn up in your bookstore, you can always ask your library to get it for you! What I really need is some constructive feedback from people who have read it, so I hope you get an opportunity. Thanks for taking an interest :)

8. Merry Mab

Merry Mab Member

Would Barnes and Noble have it, MarkH? I am very interested in reading the book now that I've read the synopsis

9. MarkH

MarkH Member

Hi Merry,

Yes, Barnes and Noble have it on-line and if you are a member you get it a bit cheaper!! :)

If you do decide to read it, please do let me know what you thought. I would be really interested to hear some constructive feedback.

Thanks!

10. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

Ach, I'm not sure of the library situation where I am. =S I'll have to look into it...hmm...and if I manage to pick up a copy I'll be sure to let you know. =)

11. MarkH

MarkH Member

Ghost,

Good luck with tracking down the book. I'm sure the price will come down in time (it's only been out a few weeks) so it may become more affordable. Amazon has dropped the price very slightly already! It would be great to hear your thoughts if you do get a chance to read it, but I'm really grateful that you've been kind enough to take an interest in my work.

Thanks again!

Mark

12. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

Price doesn't bother me too much, but I don't like ordering things online. >.< I'm sure I'll be able to find a copy around though. =)

13. MarkH

MarkH Member

14. MarkH

MarkH Member

15. MarkH

MarkH Member

Just a quick update on my book for those whom have shown an interest. I've pasted in a review from Amazon US that I think gives a gives a good impression of what the book is really like.

'One might look at The Magic Lands and find the title a little generic, and the summary may be a little cliche, but if you were to pick it up you'll see that it is full of suprises. The story is quite a roller coaster and the plot can become utterly unpredictable. I should also mention, that this isn't little red riding hood. The story is dark, bringing up memories of another dark fantasy, Pan's Labrynth. Like Pan's Labrynth,and any good fable, there is an underlying message behind it all and it is a message definitely worth hearing'.

16. Morganna

Morganna Member

I look at the title first, then I may open it at random and read a bit in the middle to see how the book reads. I'm not sure if this helps, but its what I do, lol.

17. MarkH

MarkH Member

Thanks Morganna,

It seems reasonable to me :) It would be great if you checked out the excerpts from my book if you get a chance.

18. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I tend to go more with the synopsis. But there's no denying the cover work of the Brothers Hildebrandt, added to the Sword of Shannara books.

19. MarkH

MarkH Member

20. MarkH

MarkH Member

For anyone interested there are a number of mini reviews of The Magic Lands on Amazon.co.uk It would be great to hear from some readers and I'm always happy to answers questions if anyone has one!