The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by BellaGitana17, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BellaGitana17

BellaGitana17 Member

If you into science fiction like I am (what can I say I'm a super nerd) you will love the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams! It's funny as hell and you'll never look at mice the same ever again!!

1 person likes this.
  2. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

ooohh, i cant wait for the new movie!!

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
    "But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
    "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promply vanishes in a puff of logic.

3. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

so fucking good. and since you say you're a nerd... you might've heard of this game, its a text version of the book. hold on i'll get the link

4. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

5. barefoothippie88

barefoothippie88 Member

i thought it was gr8. i never used 2 read much science fiction but my physics teacher raved on about the book so much i thought i'd give it a try! i loved it! it was witty especially the paranoid android!

6. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Haha...ah yes. Hitchhiker's guide. yes. :) My favorite line is: "The ships hung in the air in exactly the same way bricks don't." lol!

7. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Yup, Loved all the books + graphic novels + comics of it. i LOVE the original TV series + radio series. But I'm not looking forward to a movie which will obviously ruin it all.

+ I even loved the text based game on my ZX speccy lol.

8. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglass Adams

This book has been one of my favorites for a long time. Every time I read it, it actually seems even funnier. By far the funniest book I've ever read. If you've never read any Douglass Adams, I strongly recommend you read Hitchiker's Guide. You'll laugh your ass off.

For those who have read it, what are your opinions?

9. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

very funny book. harry harrison also writes some silly humored sci-fi. now they made a movie out of the book, its not a good movie, but ity is funny in a comic relief type of way.

10. paix

paix Senior Member

I love the book, one of my all time favorites, I laughed the whole way through it.

Stranger, are you talking about the new new movie, with Mos Def in it?

11. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

i haven't read it yet but have been wanting to for a few yrs now!

12. Fooja

Fooja Member

Extremly witty book that kept me laughing and laughing and laughing the whole way through. Truely a work of genius.

I love it.

13. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

naw this is an old british type movie. truly awful. so funny how awful it is though.

14. LooLoo

LooLoo Member

Yup, one of the funiest books I've ever read. It's madness the whole way through, I love it.

15. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

I love this book, and the restaurant at the end of the universe... I've yet to read the last in the series though...

Can't wait to see the new movie. Even though the first british try at it was hooooooooooooooooooorible.

16. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

i finally bought it and am in the middle of it. its sooo funny. hyperspace feels a little like being drunk. ask a glass of water what it feels like

17. CosmicKatie

CosmicKatie Member

My husband got me the book for my birthday last year and I loved it! It's a book I will definitely read again sometime. What entertainment!

18. velvet

velvet Banned

I LOVE that book! Too bad the guy died 'cause he was an amazing writer, so witty.. they actually translated the first HHG book to Dutch, can you imagine all the linguistic jokes translated? That should be completely illegal.. damnit ;)

If you like him, I can also strongly recommend 'Salmon of Doubt' (which has all the stuff that was on his computer in it, like unfinished stories and interview from when he died) and 'Last chance to see' where he travels the world with a biologist to see endangered animals.. and it's sooooo funny!

Oh..oh.. does anyone also know 'the meaning of Liff'? It's a dictionary like writing where he and a friend used the names of small places and gave them a new meaning.. very funny.. here is a txtversion of it: http://lib.ru/ADAMS/liff.txt

Now I'm all excited :D

19. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Haha, yes, this is a great book/series. I love the robot (was his name paranoid android? cant remember). He was so depressed, lol.

Yeah, Addams was a great writer, very funny and original.

20. velvet

velvet Banned

Nope.. his name was Marvin, first of the Genuine People Personality robots from the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation :)

" It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level."

Think I'm gonna put that in my sig. teehee..