The Hippie Handbook

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by LaurelBayTree, Nov 3, 2004.

1. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

Yes, there is such a book and it is written by Chelsea Cain. This author also wrote her autobiography of life on a commune called "Dharma Girl." These are both very good books. I dug them bother. However with the Hippie Handbook my dad bought this for me as a joke, but it has proven to be beneficial. There are recipies for Vegan Chocolate cake and "Oregano" Brownies. Yes pot brownies are in there...but she calls them "Oregano" because of the man assumably. As well as how to tie-dye your own t-shirt. Anyone pick up this groovy read yet?

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I hadn't heard of those till now, thanks for the recommendations. :)

3. Acorn

Acorn Member

sounds cool! i'll have to see if i can find it.

4. Crush

Crush Member

Sounds really intresting :)

5. beautifulhippie2

beautifulhippie2 TyeDyeChicka!

Yes it does sound interesting!!

6. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

I'll check if my library has it! It sounds like it has some great things to do in it

7. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

LOL...I love this book...it has become my bible...i carry it everywhere with me because you never know...you just never know

8. akunasaka24

akunasaka24 Member

I have the Hippie Handbook. My mom got it for me as a joke too and i love it.

9. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oh man! I picked this book up about a month ago, because my best girlfriend and my current boyfriend both have hippie tendancies. I think it's hilarious! I have to admit, when I saw listings in it for how to do such things as: Amble, drive like a hippie, and how to tell the time like a hippie, I wasn't sure if the book was for real, or if it was just for fun. Either way, I LOVE it! It's great!

10. MountainGirlVT

MountainGirlVT Member

hahaha......that sounds like an interesting book. i have something similar called "Living on the Earth" written by Alicia Bay Laurel. Same type of thing, only this one was published in the early 70s. Has tips on making food, building shelters outside, growing plants, making clothes, giving birth at home, all kinds of interesting stuff. My dad picked it up for me at a yard sale for 25 cents! it's cool, too, cuz it's printed in her hand writing, as if it were a journal, and she has all kinds of cool little hippy drawings and instructions in there. check it out if you can find it.

11. morningglory

morningglory Member

My mom bought that for me as a joke too, it was really cute.

12. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

i loved it! my friend bought it (she's the notorious hippie in school;) and she lent it to me. she had a hard time getting it back! i love the part about "how to smoke bannanas" and "how to run away to morocco"! my mom loved it too(she's one of those old hippies;))

13. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oooo! A new person! Welcome to the forums lucyinthesky16! I would've posted this in the Introduce Yourself thread, but, as there are already 300+ replies, I was less daunted replying here.

Hope you have fun and enjoy the forums. :)

14. The Acid Queen

The Acid Queen Member

Yes, this book is my bible... I love it sooo much!!!

15. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

Most of my hippie friends & I used to amble in sort of a semi shuffle taking steps in such a way that our bell bottoms wouldn't entangle as we walked. I often kind of leaned back a little extending the forward leg forward a little more in a truckin' form of amble. Are these anything like she describes?

Now is that driving like a hippie that has just finished some increadable weed or just the normal stoned driving? Sometimes even 15 miles per hour is just too fast.

Does the telling of time havce anything with position of the sun/moon? Again, is this normal time passing or way wasted time. During way wasted time an eternity goes on in a few minutes.

16. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

HOw to tell time like a hippie: ummm, I'd say its about....night time.

17. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

I have it 2. Fabulous!:D

18. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

oh can u find those books at the library?? i was reading the hippie handbook in some store but i jus flipped thru it!

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Living on the Earth is out again in an updated (Aids and such) form. Same handwriting, some drawings.

20. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

drat. now you will know all my secrets.