The HipForums Book Club

Discussion in 'The Media' started by ~Zen~, Jul 12, 2021.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

AngelMama and I decided to create a book club thread, we are reading the same book this week and wanted to share our thoughts.

Anyone is welcome to chime in and tell us what you think, or suggest a new book.

The books we are reading are available in ebook, print and audiobook format. That way there's no reason someone can't follow along. It's easy, most libraries have digital titles available online - and there are Amazon and other ebook publishers galore out there. There is also a treasure trove of out of print, expired copyright works in ebook format for free on the Internet as well.

If you have any of these links please let us know!

And to start, AngelMama has chosen the following title:

ODD BILLY TODD
    Capture.JPG

Yes, it is a postapocalyptic tale, but the character is not the usual know-it-all whiz kid who can conquer the word single-handedly...or is he.

I've just read one chapter and I am hooked. I'll have more to report tomorrow.

Totally Yoda, Kenwood1 and Deidre like this.
  2. Kenwood1

Kenwood1 Members

A great idea, and it looks like an awesome book! Im currently reading 3 books, ranging from a mystery to a motorcycle suspension book, so I cant take another on at the moment. But def interested, and I saved the picture of Odd Billy Todd to read at a future date!

Totally Yoda likes this.
  3. Grand prix

Grand prix Members

I was talking to my mom yesterday and I mentioned that I hadn't sat down to read a book in a very long time. Most of my reading has been articles on line, mostly to do with classic cars, or ATVs.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Billy feels as though he is the only person left on the planet when the story begins; I admit that I have a great fondness for post apocolyptic books and movies. This is the first book I habe ever read by Reed, and I am impressed with this writer's style!

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. ~Zen~

I have read a few chapters and enjoy it so far.

He is endlessly obsessive, and talks about his meds all the time but doesn't yet mention the diagnosis or the medication specifics. I think that will come in time.

It also seems to be a prepper's handbook...

Endless details on survival skills and what to do.

The endless scribbling in notebooks is a bit painful. Do we have to analyze everything in such minute detail?

However, I think I would love being stranded on that farm.

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I haven't read this one, but I do have some suggestions for some others I like--I will stay tuned.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Angelmama

He seems to need to write everything down because he doesn't feel that he can trust his memory. As someone with memory issues, I feel for him there. I disagree with those who see and describe him as feebleminded. His problem, as I see it, is low self esteem.
    Billy needs to believe in himself.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. Angelmama

I am deeply into the story now, lost in Billy's world. Not even halfway through yet, but already dreading the end of the book. I never want it to end!

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. ~Zen~

I have gotten several chapters in now, and he's got a girl!

Hope he doesn't eat her LOL!

But really, you are right about esteem Angelmama.

Boy they sure are stockpiling... I think that is going to cause trouble they don't anticipate.

10. Angelmama

Yes; how long before other people find out about those stockpiles and decide to relieve them of that hard earned stuff?

~Zen~ likes this.
  11. ~Zen~

I think that is coming soon, from the next door neighbor's kids first.

I'll read more tonight on my new tablet. It finally arrived. Two weeks in shipping. Yay!

12. Angelmama

This is a great book. Can't believe it's his first!

~Zen~ likes this.
  13. ~Zen~

He has written about thirty books - and all are at Amazon.com.

14. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

This will give you some thoughts on being prepared

7DEDA675-B895-4338-A155-A3C02BFCF3D9.jpeg

~Zen~ likes this.
  15. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 grains of diplomacy Lifetime Supporter

My wife and I try to keep all of our really important electronic possessions in my detached shop/garage. The entire building is one big Faraday Cage. After the pulse, we'll most likely be the only people for miles around with working vehicles... until the fuel supply is exhausted.

~Zen~ and Toecutter like this.
  16. ~Zen~

Yesterday was so busy I did not read anything :(

Today I may disappear and catch up... when the world is a blast furnace outside one can only hide.

Being prepared is a life's work in survival. Our grandparents did it a matter of course way to live using whatever was available.

17. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

IDK if an english version of these books exists but I just finished "Alabama" by professor Alessandro Barbero and I'm currently in the middle of "Beautiful life and foreign wars of Mr. Pyle, Gentleman". The former is recent while the latter has seen multiple editions in several languages. Both deal about American history, while "Alabama" is the collected memories of a 100 yo confederate veteran interviewed by a near graduate student in history looking for first hand witness about the massacre of an entire captured black union regiment at the hands of confederate soldiers, "Mr. Pyle" deals with the adventures of an American diplomat in Europe during the time of Napoleonic wars, constantly facing the reality that at that point in history only a few ones knew about the USA. The novel is a first person diary by mr. Pyle himself and his political and... less political deeds in the early 1800s. Through his journey, he manages to make acquaintances with several historical figures. Alessandro Barbero is a professor of medieval history who enjoys a full fledged rockstar level popularity in Italy. Which is an uncommon occurring for his profession. He authored a considerable amount of books, both novels and historical essays.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.
  18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Toecutter and ~Zen~ like this.
  19. ~Zen~

Thanks for your report!

My father was fascinated by the Civil war in the US. It was a bad time... brother against brother and a lot of despair.

I need to read something less depressing and apocalyptical... I am finding Billy Todd that way. I can see where it's going and that's not my kind of book.

Uplifting is what I like!

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Geez, just found this thread.
    Great idea, unfortunately I'm now reading four books at once, Climbing Mount Improbable by Richard Dawkins, The Discoverers by Daniel J. Boorstein, New Lands, New Men by William H. Goetzmann, and Linesman by S.K. Dunstall. I keep going from one to the other.

And I have a stack of thirteen others I'm trying to get to!

~Zen~ likes this.