the guitar

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by deadonceagain, Jan 22, 2005.

1. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

ok this is my rant, Everyone plays guitar i have not found one person in my school that doesnt know how to play, i know three people who play bass, two drumers, then people in the school band. No one plays piano or harmonica or lesser knowen inturments and everyone who plays gutiar either plays some fucking stupied punk or emo shit or what they think is classic rock which is one zeplin song and a couple shitty hendrix songs they cant even play right. I play guitar but i play slide guitar most of the time or blues, when i play silde guitar in school most people who play dont know what silde guitar is or say its "gay", another thing is people spending like 600$ on their first guitar and 400$ on their first amp they just try and show off what their mom and dad got them i had to buy all my shit myself and good shit doesnt make you a good player buy a cheap guitar and learn stuff the right way then spend a shit load of money when you can play good

2. sheeprooter

sheeprooter Member

then what are you complaining about? sounds like your right and their wrong, and you know it

sure lots of people play guitar, but how many can play well?

3. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

He's right. Be yourself. Fuck them. YOU do what is right for YOU. I'm sure YOU don't care for John Denver at all. BUT! I'm such a fan of his I even have the address of his home in Colorado! I have over 35 of his songs on my computer, and I can play just a lot of his songs. My point is, even John Denver wouldn't sound the same without his backup players. (Yes, one of them played Slide.)

4. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

what's your point?

5. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

The same thing goes here...i know many many many guitar players who dont even know what a simple C chord is if were to tell them to play it...and all they play is extremly distorted "music" that sounds like shit to my ears.

Just dont let it bother you and know that you are better then them. Let them have their fun with their expenise guitars, cause most likely they will stop playing down the road and sell their stuff at a garage sale or something.

6. MoonIsBright

MoonIsBright Member

I bought a guitar a year ago and am not that great. Not an expensive guitar(acoustic). But give some people a chance, you werent the best player when you first picked up a guitar. I would rather have a bunch of people out there trying to learn how to play guitar than trying to rap.

Peace&Love

7. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

moonisbright the sad thing is half the people that play guitar also rap

8. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

I won't knock someone for choosing to play music I don't "like".. But I will tell you personally I am impressed not only by your decision to be your own man musically, but to also find the beauty in slide guitar to pursue it. I play a few different instruments, and while I'm better on other things, guitar is my favorite. I go through phases (usually lasting a few years at a time) where I try to learn a genre or style of music that I did not know before. Slide guitar has been very gratifying for me. I enjoy Derek Trucks' playing, and Jeremy Spencer of Fleetwood Mac (in the 60's) could practically channel Elmore James. Joe Walsh is also an amazing slide player. They inspired me to give it a shot. I have a Fender Telecaster that I keep tuned to open G tuning for slide. I'd be interested in hearing what musical route you are taking..

9. gottssunfire

gottssunfire Member

p0w3r ch0rd5 r0x0r3111!!!

just kidding

actually i would generally agree with you, excpet on the initial gear thing.
    Nothing anywhere says that you should have to work your way up to nice stuff. I'm saving for my first amp, and I almost have enough for a roland cube 60. A nice sound can keep you motivated through the discouraging times, whereas the little 15 watt practice amps alot of people start with can make the best guitars sound like crap, and if everything you're hearing sounds bad you're very likely to put the guitar down forever

10. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

lvlÿ ƒrîëñÐ vvåŠ †åkîñg £ëŠŠöñŠ åñÐ ëvëñ 僆ër åþöü† 6 vvëëkŠ öƒ £ëŠŠöñŠ hë Š†î££ ÐîÐñ'† kñövv vvhå† å ©hörÐ îŠ. Î ŠÞëñÐ åþöü† 4+ höürŠ †ëå©hîñg mÿ Šë£ƒ Šhî† åñÐ îmÞrövîñg mÿ Þ£åÿ. vvºº†

11. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i spend 4 hours + on the computer and i still cant read half of what you just wrote :D

(dont take that seriously)