The Growing Menace Of discarded Face Mask and Gloves litter!

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Boozercruiser, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Well I don't know about others, but at least were I live here in Rhos On Sea North Wales there appears to be yet another Pandemic.
    This relatively new Pandemic is to do with the growing spectacle of seeing discarded Face Masks and Gloves and other items of PPE all over the ruddy place!
    This is so disgusting both as a sore sight to see, and for our fragile environment and planet which is suffering more and more and more from thoughtless plastic/thick human beings.
    This makes me Mad.
    Do you hear?
    MAD!

Coronavirus PPE litter 'widespread'

Coronavirus PPE litter 'widespread', says Keep Wales Tidy
    3 June 2020
    Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share
    Related TopicsCoronavirus pandemic

Media caption"Discarded PPE is an environmental risk and a contamination risk," says one volunteer
    Coronavirus has led to an increase in litter including face masks and disposable gloves, according to Keep Wales Tidy.

At the start of lockdown, the charity saw a decrease in litter such as food packaging and cigarette ends.

But campaigners say there has been a "significant and widespread increase in personal protective equipment being littered all over the country".

Volunteer groups said it was "very disappointing".

Jemma Bere, policy and research manager for Keep Wales Tidy, said the masks and disposable gloves found on pavements and parks across Wales were a danger to wildlife and public health.

Scottishdk likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Sorry to hear about the idiots leaving their trash everywhere.

What's gone wrong with this planet of ours?

Locally, people don't bother with masks so I hide inside my locked gates and pray for the vaccine.

When I do go out it's with face shield, mask, gloves, and I strip down and wash all clothing including shoes upon arrival back home. Then I sterilize everything brought home from the store, including washing all fresh vegetables.

Did you ever notice how much longer fresh veg keeps in the frig when it's been washed clean after coming home from the store? It's AMAZING.

3. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Boozy this is throughout the UK.
    They are not emptying the bins, or many have been taken away!

4. Boozercruiser

Thank you for your reply there Zen, though I am quite surprised that there are not a few more being made.
    As you say what is going wrong with this planet of ours, and I feel more people should be giving views and posting about it.
    Or perhaps far too many people are just not that bothered about our planet becoming one great big Trash Can?

5. Boozercruiser

Thank you for posting Gal.
    You are quite right there of course, so perhaps councils have a lot to answer for in respect of Face Masks and Gloves being strewn all over the place.
    Of course I am not making excuses for these litter bugs because they will litter their Dog Poo and other stuff all over the land.
    Some even put that shite in a black bag, and then just chuck the bag anywhere. BE3756FF-81A9-4234-ABB9-0B5DC152505E.jpg
    Morons! :rage:

In the meantime Wifey is in the process of making me some EVERTON face masks made from old Everton curtains I no longer use.
    What da ya think about THAT then?!

Candy Gal likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

#humansarethevirus

7. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So what does that make Antipodean knuckle dragging Anthropoids ???

8. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

One of the big problems in my neighborhood is we have lots of foot-traffic, and with it lots of litterbugs! It drives me crazy because I grew up always knowing better. But some people think it's cool, or for some other reason have adopted the habit of throwing trash on the ground.

Anyway, among other things I have noticed masks and gloves quite a bit.

10. Boozercruiser

I just wish more resources were put in for Wardens to fine the little thoughtless shits a coupla hundred dollars/pounds for dropping litter.
    This includes the ones who let their dog shite anywhere without cleaning up after it/them.

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Eww... :laughing:

People have gotten better on that one. The city puts up boxes with bags for picking up dog doo at the parks.

12. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

I started noticing the discarded items outside stores as soon as people started wearing masks and gloves while shopping for food. I try not to judge my fellow man and woman too harshly, but we are a disgusting species in that respect.

It's only in the last 150 years that we humans learned not to defecate in the sources of our drinking water.

13. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

14. Angelmama

I rarely leave home since my shopping bus for seniors is shut down because of virus fear but I hear the supermarket lots are awash with mask and gloves.
    My grocery delivery guy said they make him sweep the mess up.

15. Boozercruiser

Thank you for reviving the thread Angel.
    The below is from the British Guardian newspaper, and the whole thing is getting like a really sad and worrying horror story now!

'More masks than jellyfish': coronavirus waste ends up in ocean

Conservationists have warned that the coronavirus pandemic could spark a surge in ocean pollution – adding to a glut of plastic waste that already threatens marine life – after finding disposable masks floating like jellyfish and waterlogged latex gloves scattered across seabeds.

The French non-profit Opération Mer Propre, whose activities include regularly picking up litter along the Côte d’Azur, began sounding the alarm late last month.

Divers had found what Joffrey Peltier of the organisation described as “Covid waste” – dozens of gloves, masks and bottles of hand sanitiser beneath the waves of the Mediterranean, mixed in with the usual litter of disposable cups and aluminium cans.

The quantities of masks and gloves found were far from enormous, said Peltier.
    But he worried that the discovery hinted at a new kind of pollution, one set to become ubiquitous after millions around the world turned to single-use plastics to combat the coronavirus.
    “It’s the promise of pollution to come if nothing is done,” said Peltier.

16. Angelmama

That's horrifying.
    It's hard to imagine. But then this whole situation would have been hard to imagine a year ago.

17. Wow, I do none of this Zen, and have no desire for any vaccine. Kinda surprises me about you but I really don't know anyone here at all... I didn't have much fear from the beginning of it all. Now it's almost too funny as I've found some wild musical youtubes that say it all...

18. ~Zen~

I am a clean freak. I changed about three years ago when I had my cataracts removed and new lenses inserted. Suddenly I could see dirt everywhere. I threw away the bifocals, and read without any glasses. Driving is a pleasure again, as I could not drive at all for a couple of years waiting for the surgery.

My allergies have also improved since I started house cleaning more carefully. Moving out of a wooden house with wall to wall carpeting was the best, breathing recycled air is unhealthy.

What I really appreciate is that the fresh foods I buy last longer in the frig when I clean it all before putting it away. On my limited budget it is necessary to not waste anything.

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Be careful on that one, unless your age and medical conditions put you at high risk.

Their is a theory that regular flue vaccinations are reducing the activity of peoples immune systems, hence increasing the risks every time a new virus mutates.
    NHS workers who are required to have the vaccinations, then become at particular risk.

What we are not being told, probably because governments themselves do not understand, is that 95% of human life ACTUALLY ends when a weakened body is attacked by a virus, leading to either pneumonia, (bacterial), followed by septicemia OR, renal failure leading to multi organ shutdown. The cause of death is recorded as the prevailing condition, NOT the events of the final 72 hours. The ACTUAL virus that was involved is rarely recorded.

When Covid 19 came along, the virus was suddenly WRONGLY being regarded as the cause of all these deaths.
    Here in he UK, an average of 1,500 people die every day, but this is variable throughout the year and it is generally accepted that at times of viruses doing the rounds the figures peak, followed by a trough.
    The full truth will only emerge, when we have the TOTAL number of deaths for 2020. It will probably be slightly high, but nothing like what people seem to be imagining.

The ultimate demise of any virus, is more by natural shared immunity, than vaccination.
    This is where too much slowing down of the spread is working against us. In he worst case, it could be allowing the virus to further mutate.

When a person dies in a road crash, we rarely ask what parts of their body was crushed and broken.
    Therefore all the details of deaths involving covid are without doubt causing huge alarm and stress among millions of people.
    I hope that my reply has not simply made it worse.

ZenKarma likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

Well I am 67 years young, and worked in printing plants doing everything from press devil to operator to plate maker, dark room tech, hot lead typesetting, crt typesetting systems, desktop publishing, and on and on... so all the chemicals got together in a blaze one time and I nearly did not make it out alive. The fumes over came me trying to get out the exit... I woke up a week later when they took out the respirator tubes and allowed me to re-awaken. It was bad, and my lungs are damaged as a result... they call it COPD. That was in 79... and here I am today.

So yes I do get flu shots usually, and I think I'd have a really rough time with COVID.