The Green Gold of Modron

Discussion in 'Spain' started by ZenKarma, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

The Green Gold of Mondron

Andalusia is famous for olive oil, amongst other things like sun and sand. Millions of olive trees in endless groves cover the mountains that back up the southern coast of Spain.

The Axarquian area inland from Marbella is where the town of Mondron offers arguably the best olive oil in Spain. I remember seeing what I thought was a filling station for cars when driving thru one hot dusty afternoon, but to my amazement they were pumping green gold, the local olive oil, into barrels, drums, cans, jars, etc.

According to the local cooperative San Jose, they have been exporting this green gold liquid since the fourth century. It has been served at the tables of emperors for ages, and used by their ladies as a beauty lotion. To this day amphorae filled with olive oil are found in shipwrecks throughout the Mediterranean basin.

These olives are of the “verdial” variety, and are pressed in the traditional way, producing virgin olive oil of the highest quality. It is often praised for its low acidity, making it perfect for cosmetics and consumption.

Of course in summer, splashing some of this green gold on a salad with a squeeze of lemon juice is an amazingly refreshing lunch offering; try it with a bowl of gazpacho alongside.