The great beer exchange 05!

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by jesuswasamonkey, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jesuswasamonkey

jesuswasamonkey Slightly Tipsy

I know that there are a lot of folks on this board who are fond of fine brews, so I came up with a way for us to sample regional brews from around the world. Here is how it works, simply post in here and list what you think are the best regional beers in your area that can't be purchased elsewhere, once we get a few posters, people can pair up to exchange beer. agree on a value between yourselves and choose beers from each other's lists that you can't get at home, be it a single bottle or a case, and simply send each other beers via UPS or Fedex.

So, here are some beers from Texas and surrounding areas you might not be able to get elsewhere:

Sierra Blanca: Pale Ale, Pilsener, Nut Brown, Alien Amber Ale: a great microbrewery in New Mexico, I may not be able to find this one so don't get your hopes up.

Saint Arnold: 11 varieties, just pick a style, they probably make it. an excellent microbrewery in Houston and Texas' oldest surviving microbrewery, makes some damn fine beers

Abita: Amber ale, Turbodog brown ale, Purple Haze raspberry wheat beer. a good brewery in Louisiana, not exactly micro, but you might not be able to find it outside of the region.

Lone Star. Pilsener. The national beer of Texas, again, not micro, but definitely regional. It's really cheap and worth every penny, due to price you will get two Lone Stars for every beer you send me.

Shiner Bock: Blonde(lager) Bock and light, from the Spoetzl brewery in Shiner Texas, definitely a regional favorite around here, hardly a bar in town doesn't have it on tap. I'm not sure how exclusive it is to the region though.

So that is my list for now. If I think of any others I will put them up. Also, I will be moving to Denver Colorado in about a month, so if you want to trade for Texas beer you need to do so ASAP, I will be willing to send you beer now if you give me your word you will send me your beer once I get my address in Colorado. Next month I'll put Colorado Beer up for trade, and Colorado has a lot of good beer.

Belgian traders are especially welcome :D

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

From New York

Brewery Ommegang: (Cooperstown, New York)

Hennepin (Belgian Saison/Biere de Garde)
    Rare Vos (Belgian-style Brabant Ale)
    Ommegang (Dark Strong Belgian Ale)
    Three Philosophers (Belgian Quadrupel with Cherry Lambic)
    Witte (Belgian-style Witber)

Middle Ages Brewery: (Syracuse, New York)

Triple Crown (Belgian Tripel)
    Grail Ale (Amber Ale)
    Syracuse Pale Ale (Pale Ale)
    ImPaled Ale (IPA)
    Wailing Wench (Double/Imperial IPA)
    Beast Bitter (Bitter/ESB)
    Wizard's Winter Ale (Olde Ale)
    Druid Fluid (Barleywine)
    The Duke of Winship (Scotch Ale)
    Old Marcus (English Strong Ale)
    Black Heart Stout (Stout)

Southampton Publick House: (Southampton, New York)

Southampton Biere de Mars (Biere de Garde)
    Old Herb (Barleywine)
    Southampton Grand Cru (Belgian-style Strong Pale Ale)
    Southampton Sparkling Summer Ale (Kolsch)
    Triple (Tripel)
    Oatmeal Stout
    Belgian White Ale (Witber)
    Bavarian Wheat (Hefeweizen)
    Oyster Stout
    Southampton Abbot 12 (Quadrupel)
    Southampton Belgian Red Ale
    Imperial Russian Stout

Wagner Valley Brewing Co.: (Lodi, New York)

Sled Dog Dopplebock
    Sled Dog Trippelbock
    Wagner Valley IPA
    Grace House Honey Wheat
    Caywood Station Oatmeal Stout
    Summer Sail Hefeweizen
    Sugar House Maple Porter
    Wagner Valley Dunkelweizen

Custom Brewcrafters: (Honeoye Falls, New York)

Southern Tier Brewing Co.: (Lakeview, New York)

IPA
    Porter
    Pilsner
    Harvest Ale (American Pale Ale - seasonal)
    Old Man Winter (Olde Ale - seasonal)
    Tripel (Belgian Tripel)

Brooklyn Brewery: (Brooklyn & Utica, New York)

Brooklyn Lager
    Brooklyn Pilsner
    Brooklyn Ale (Pale Ale)
    East India Pale Ale (IPA)
    Black Chocolate Stout (Russian Imperial Stout)
    Brown Ale
    Brooklyner Weisse (German-style wheat beer)
    Oktoberfest
    Monster Ale (Barleywine)

Lake Placid Brewery: (Lake Placid, New York)

Ubu Ale (English Strong Ale)
    46'er IPA (IPA)

High Falls Brewery: (Rochester, New York)

Pale Ale
    Amber Ale
    Honey Brown Lager

3. jesuswasamonkey

Man, that is a lot to choose from. I'm afraid Texas comes up a little short in the microbrew department. There are plenty of brewpubs that brew their own, but due to the pointless laws Texas legislature is so fond of passing (like the stupid ban on lambic) a brewpub that serves beer on the premises cannot sell beer for take-home.

For a man of your tastes, I would reccomend St Arnold's. Let me know whether or not you've tried it, if not I'll make you up a sampler pack.

Here's a list of their brews: http://www.saintarnold.com/products/profiles/index.html

The Sierra Blanca is also very excellent, but it is only sold in New Mexico. I'm not going through NM anytime soon, but I might be able to find a bottle or two in the back of my dad's beer fridge next time I visit, if so, I'll throw it in too.

All of that New Yawk beer sounds good, and none of it can be bought 'round here, so if you decide to trade with me I'll let you pick it out. I only request that you not send me any barleywine, I never could develop a taste for that stuff.

Anyways, PM me if you are interested in trading and we can set this thing up.

4. jesuswasamonkey

Allright Rat, I can't blame you for your lack of enthusiasm about Texas beers, but now that I'm in Colorado you might want to reconsider. I've only been in Denver since Friday and have only had a chance to try three different brews, but I can tell you that Colorado microbrews are truly some of the damn-finest beers in the world. New Belgium beer is swill compared to the other beers I've tried out here.

So, If you are still interested let me know. I'll be happy to put together a sampler six-pack of Colorado beer to trade for a New England sampler. If you take me up on the offer just put whatever you want in your NE sampler, I'll try to include a variety of styles from six different breweries in mine. PM me if you want to do this, if you're skeptical about my intentions (I wouldn't blame you, I come acrost as a real asshole at times), I would be willing to send mine first as an act of good faith.

Lemme know one way or the other, I'm looking forward to trying some East Coast breadwater.