The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) - Any users?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by phillyrp314, Jan 5, 2005.

1. phillyrp314

phillyrp314 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've been a bit bored at work lately and have always been interested in digital manipulation/ design but didn't want to pay for Photoshop and stuff. So a quick little search led me to the GIMP, an open source freeware program comparable to Photoshop (according to what I've read).

I've been messing around with the program and found a few useful tutorial pages through google and such. It's been alittle difficult since most of the tutorials are written for older versions of the program, but I've been able to figure most things out. Seems to be a very versatile and complex program, and the learning is hard.

Would anybody have any recommendations on resources concerning either this program or digital photo manipulation/design? I'm going to continue looking for tutorials and such, just hoping someone may have ideas/links on how I may be able to educate myself more in this field.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Shockw4ve

Shockw4ve Member

3. moondance

moondance Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

4. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I've not seen too too many GIMP tutorials around, but most tutorials for Photoshop can be done in the GIMP with little trouble.... :D

5. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I agree with soulless Chaos. I've been a photoshop user for years, and most of the skills seem to be transferable.

6. phillyrp314

phillyrp314 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Thanks all for the links and advice...I'm slowly working my way through the gimp tutorials. It's taken some good 'ol trial and error, but it's for the best. Thank god I'm not computer illeterate...only in the scene of digi photos and graphics...

As soon as I get a better grasp on the processes used to compile and manipulate the stuff I'm working on I'll start perusing through photoshop manuals and try applying them to GIMP.

Thanks again :)