The gay wedding cake.

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Bilby, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Anyway, I wish this thread would just die

To me the subject is really irritating, this is the kind of message we want at the forefront?, a couple of homos (yes I'm allowed to use that word) chucking a hissy fit over a wedding cake of all things

.....not the high incidence of suicide amongst LGT teens, a dumbass wedding cake

neoprene_queen and Irminsul like this.
  2. resqguy

resqguy Members

No I wasn't and you know that.

3. Kerri

Kerri Members

It’s not about the wedding cake. It’s about being treated equally. The cake is just a vehicle for the bigotry and the discussion that follows. The idea that even with a transaction as benign and ordinary as buying a cake people in the LGBQT community can’t escape judgement and discrimination. It’s that constant burden that contributes to the higher rates of suicide, depression etc.

Personally I think it’s also an interesting discussion from a academic perspective too. The bigotry is undeniable and inexcusable and I would never spend a dime at a business that made the choice of the cake shop, but there is the question of do we have the right in a free society to, in a non-violent way, be bigots

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think there's a part of this discussion that I don't agree with which is saying that the gay person ordering the cake is doing so antagonistically. I wasn't there but even if that were the case, I think that the entrepreneur should be willing and able to rise above that smallness.

I already said that I think the cake should have been made without question; two grooms and all! :smiley:
    If there is a court case, I hope that the courts see past the smallness as well. I don't care if he's the stupidest gay guy in the world! That cake should be baked.

5. resqguy

resqguy Members

Sorry, but that just isn't true. If the baker or pizza make has served gay people in the past, how is failing to serve a wedding ceremony bigotry? It sounds to me that you don't respect their religious beliefs but you want them to understand and respect your lifestyle. In addition, you want the Government to enforce your beliefs on them.

Aren't you judging them by calling them bigots because they don't want to participate in a gay marriage?

Connecting this situation to the cause of suicide or other tragedies is flat wrong.

6. Kerri

Kerri Members

No, I don’t have the slightest respect for their religious rights when those rights infringe on others. They’re bigots - hiding behind religion makes them cowards but doesn’t absolve their bigotry. Yes I’m judging that. I’m totally cool with it

And of course this one specific situation is not leading to suicide. Absolutely no one said that. It’s the accumulation of discrimination that makes people feel powerless that leads to desperation and suicide in some. That’s fact. It’s you that’s wrong

txbarefooter and MeAgain like this.
  7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am unclear of the rights of small business owners....and I always thought if someone did not want to serve you over antagonisitc behavior, it is their right.

Looking at this from a different perspective, if I had a cake bakery to make custom made cakes, and a hunter wanted me to fashion a cake of hunter and gun shooting a deer, i would say no.....and i don't care if i went to jail for that. It is against my religion.....or rather spirituality.

You cannot force everyone to sing the same songs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

No. I don't know that. Because, this...

MeAgain and Kerri like this.
  9. Kerri

Kerri Members

That’s not discrimination in a legal sense - hunters are not a protected minority

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

But they arent refusing service just because they're gay.

They're refusing to make a cake specifically for an event that goes against the bakers' religious beliefs.

This isn't quite the same as walking into the bakery and being refused service to purchase a ready make cake just because of sexual orientation - or is it? I think that is the question the Court will have to answer

A white nationalist group could just as easily claim racial discrimination if a baker refused to bake a cake for an event celebrating white nationalism.

11. Kerri

Kerri Members

Yes I think they have a legal right to deny service, even if it’s just about them being gay. it’s just bigoted to do so.

A white nationalist bigot has no legal standing whatsoever. They are not part of any legally protected minority group therefore they have no grounds even if they’re denied service specifically for that

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It is about the wedding cake, because thats how the issue gets branded. The majority of everyone else dont really pay attention to the details, just run with the headline. Oh, they couldnt buy a wedding cake, boo hoo - I'm sure it got a lot of sympathy with all the racial minorities who are homeless, unemployed or have family members in prison

In a country of 325 million, it was one bakery. The Kim Davis thing a couple years back, it was one clerk in some butthole county that refused to issue gay marriage licenses , and that blew up, one clerk in a country of 325 million. So the issues at the forefront in the last ten years where a wedding cake, some clerk that had 6 kids to three different fathers, oh and which toilets transexuals can use. Meanwhile there are over 1/2 million homeless in the same country, 1/4 of them kids, almost half of them black

A lot, most of the stress for LGBTQ teens comes from their parents, getting kicked out by their parents, or abused by the parents or family members, would you really tell them a couple guys couldnt buy a wedding cake and that added to the buildup of judgement they face and thats why they are suicidal. If you did it would just sound to them like you are trying to cover up for the uncle that raped them for 10 years or whatever

14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It's interesting, VG... the statistics that I read said that there are actually more white people, but that when you consider that African Americans only comprise a small percentage of the U.S. population that the percentage of homeless African Americans is disproportionately higher than that for white people. I don't have that book anymore but I can download it again if you're curious about the actual number for this... lol.

It's also true that the homelessness among lgbtq teens is disproportionately high. And the suicide rate. All of these figures are telling of the social inequality in America.

15. Kerri

Kerri Members

You have zero understanding of the issue and clearly you’re making up the anecdotes. You missed literally every point

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oi vey

17. Kerri

Kerri Members

You know being condescending doesn’t make you right?

18. Kerri

Kerri Members

He seems either unwilling or incapable of seeing this from any perspective but his own narrow one. He totally just made up the idea that most of the stress comes from parents and he is steadfastly refusing to see it as anything but a cake when in truth it’s everything but that.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I totally just made up the idea most of the stress for homeless LGBT teens comes from getting kicked out or abused by their parents....did I?

20. Kerri

Kerri Members

Yes