The Flaming Lips

Discussion in 'Music' started by sprout, Apr 4, 2007.

1. sprout

sprout DeadHead

Is anyone here a fan?

I saw the movie "The Fearless Freaks" about The Flaming Lips and it peaked my interest making me want to check out their music. I looked around but there is so much..... Can anyone suggest a good place to start in the Flaming Lips catalog? Certain songs?

...thanks

2. Krsna Bhakti

Krsna Bhakti d-_-b JAMMING

I have heard a few songs, and I definitley like what I hear. I would also appreciate an experienced fans suggestion on where to start! :)

3. wiuf

wiuf Member

yeah, I remember when everyone was really into them a few years ago, in spite of their cult following for upwards of a decade. they're pretty good. I like Zaireeka the most, but their early to mid nineties stuff is best.

4. Krsna Bhakti

Zaireeka huh? Is this the title of an album, or of a single song? and thank you! :)

5. wiuf

wiuf Member

sure thing.

Zaireeka is an album, and a very special one. it's actually four discs with different instrumental tracks and effects which you play simultaneously, so the music forms a sort of web around you (example: bass and vocals out of one stereo, noises out of another, vocals and piano out of the third, etc). sometimes instruments shift from one disc to the other, which is interesting. it all comes together and can actually be quite gorgeous and has a few surprises. sort of a novelty but quite amazing.

6. wiuf

wiuf Member

7. Krsna Bhakti

Wow that does sound absoultley amazing! I dont think I have ever even heard of such a unique concept before. I am definiley going to find myself a copy as soon as I can afford it, I imagine at 4 discs it would be a little pricey!

8. wiuf

wiuf Member

it's actually reasonably priced, considering. you can definitly get it for under $25 on Amazon.

the only problem is getting four stereos (though even playing just two discs sounds cool).

9. Krsna Bhakti

Oh man! That is not bad at all :)

And yes, considering I only have one stereo at my home, and it is my roomates, I definitley wont be hearing it on 4 seperate stereos haha :tongue: But it does sound very interesting! I think the only songs I know by them are Do You Realize and some song about vaseline or jelly or something like that :)

10. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Ah a pretty cool band, definitely worth a listen... I only have three or four of their albums, but I think I have some of their best ones, and I like Clouds Taste Metallic the best :)

11. wiuf

wiuf Member

being 21 and listening to the FL's rocks, right guys?

12. Krsna Bhakti

haha good point! I hadent even noticed that myself. And you have both been extremley polite and informitive. Thanks again guys :)

13. wiuf

wiuf Member

ah you're welcome. :&

14. Smelly Socks

Smelly Socks is probably lurking

Clouds Taste Metallic is the only CD of theirs I have, but I love it and am looking to expand my collection.

15. Krsna Bhakti

Wow My Moonchild likes them too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

16. artful.dodger.roger

artful.dodger.roger Member

I really like their "Oh My Gawd" album.

17. sprout

sprout DeadHead

Yeah I heard about the four disk album... I'd love to try that out.

18. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

their very good. i'd say all the albums from "transmissions from the satellite heart, to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" are very sublime