the first signs of life in my garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cerridwen, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I've a bunch of these purple and yellow flowers growing around my garden; my rhubarb is starting; and the last pic is some sort of flower that's budding up.

Also sprouting are my chives and garlic, which are always among the first to grow.... so excited!

2. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

yay crocuses! theyre about the first sign of spring around here. i dont have the yellow ones though, just purple.

3. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

The last one looks like a hyacinth to me. When it comes up it could be anything from white,thru various shades of blue and pink.

We had a hotspell here a couple of weeks back and the chives suddenly went into growing overdrive as did the sage. We have been having lots of herby mash potatoes as a result.

4. ripple

ripple Member

My chives have taken off too with this weather. They must be about 20" tall and ready to flower already!

5. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

It's been an early spring here for us in my part of California I already have nine tomatos pretty well developed. We are in our rain two days, sun four which is great for the plants. Hope you all have a great spring.

6. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Oooh, crocuses! They're beautiful. None of mine came up this year. (sigh) I think they fed a rabbit over the winter. Sure hope he was hungry!
    love,
    mom

7. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Hee hee, I hear you. Between the squirrels and rabbits I am suprised we had any bulbs left. I love spring!

8. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

When the flowers come out, nip them off and put them in salad, esp tomato and cucumber. Yum!

9. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Yeah my garlic chives are in full bloom right now.