The Fall By Albert Camus

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by Joshua Tree, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I've just finished reading this book for the second time, the first being quite a few years ago. It's basically moral philosophy couched as a short novel. It's written as a first person monologue to the reader, and the theme is the pervasive hypocrisy of humanity in how we judge others to absolve ourselves of our own judgements upon ourselves. It is quite an unsettling read from that point of view, but definitely thought-provoking, and at times darkly very humorous.

Here's an example of a passage from it which gives you a feel for the book:

Desera_xoxo likes this.
  2. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Existentialist angst and all of western philosophy can be considered dark comedy. I met a woman once who laughed hysterically all the way through "My Dinner with Andre" which bored me to tears because the movie is more like a dry documentary than a comedy for some of us. As Stephen Wright said, "I have an existentialist map, it has 'You are here' written all over it."

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

The Fall is just Camus' opinion. Some kind of transcendental signified truth that we are obliged to accept. I don't really see life this way though.

Anyway. I never read it.

It sucked.

4. kinkydoyouloveme

kinkydoyouloveme Members

Camt is my favorite writer of all times. I do prefer the stranger and rebel though... and the rebel i highly recomend, its essay based and you can really see how he thinks

Joshua Tree likes this.
  5. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look up The Rebel.

6. Surprisingly I don't know this book either. Have just looked it up and will now devote my time to finding a second hand copy.