The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Discussion in 'Hip Comics' started by ScrubPuppy, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

When I was a kid my mother bought a stack of comics at a garage sale. Little did she know that within that stack were several issues of the The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. Since then I've been a fan. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a new issue or any older issues. Does anybody else remember the Freak Brothers?

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

2. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

northernsun.com is now printing Crumb t-shirts. I just bought the "keep on truckin" t.
    I'm not sure they have the Freak Bros., but I do know they've got Mr. Natural.

3. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

prob lots of people do, especially older folk
    one great thing about being around these days is the internet, one can find anything here and it's funny to me when people ask 'how do you find...' from a computer... google is all about keywords. so try 'underground comix'
    FFF Bros are an all time favorite of mine however when talking about underground comics mentioning FFF Bros is like mentioning the Beach Boys to surf music. There soooo much more.
    Fat Freddies cat got lots of his own issues

[​IMG]

this is one of the only books i have left, at one point i had a hundred of so actual comic books, of course long gone :( you can get this used on Amazon for 12 bux...

[​IMG]

Other key words to google would be Apex and Zap. Zap was all R. Crumb and FFF Bros stuff at first and then included Mr. Natural and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zap_Comix

(pro-hip-tip) cool cats call Fat Freddies Cat "Fat Freddie Scat"... :sunny:

4. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Zippy the Pinhead="Am I president yet?" Great comics,all. Wish I'd hung on to them. I DO have a # 1 Zap around here somewhere.

6. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

im sure you know if you can find it you could retire :) check ebay prices, there isn't even a first issue there presently, a issue #2 i just saw there is asking $500. i wish i had my old ones too and none of them were special.
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/zap-comix-1

i'll trade you an old weird polaroid land camera from the 60's for it :D

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Whoa! I will look for it.

8. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

they have reprints at one of our head shops

9. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They're awesome! Gilbert Shelton stopped writing Freak Bros comics about 20 years ago after publishing a dozen or so. I've read all of them and in fact I have the board game Feds n Heads which was published in a 1971 edition of Playboy.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

11. _Bob_

_Bob_ Una Tana Bibi

I sure remember them-that takes me back to my early hippy days, when the magazine was still being published-wow, that was a long time ago :(

12. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

13. newo

14. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I remember the Freak Brothers comics from when I was in high school. The hippie era was already dead by then and disco and punk were in. These comics were usually sold in head shops and for some reason were still popular with kids who considered hippies to be totally passé by then.

15. newo

They probably thought of the Freak Bros as stoners rather than hippies.

16. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

17. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

By the time I was a teenager in high school, even most of the stoners had cut their hair and no longer related to hippies.
    I loved these comics since they were a lot of fun to read and reminded me of another era that was before my time. I started to collect underground newspapers at that time too which often contained Freak Brothers and similar comics.

18. trapstar69

trapstar69 Banned

i dont understand how the comic book store in my town stays in business