the emo thread

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by miabubble, May 19, 2004.

1. miabubble

miabubble Member

yay! come on Josie! keepin it real and all that!

so I'm starting the Biffy Clyro appreciation series of posts... until we decide to discuss another band...

2. JOsie

JOsie Member

Biffy Clyro...indeedily good
    Bright Eyes - Does that count as emo?
    Weezer...the original geek rock band
    Taking Back Sunday
    Morrisey and The Smiths - Emo for the older generation
    Goth - The precursor to Emo? or just a completely different section of music?

Discuss:p

3. Ananael

Ananael Member

Ooooo Im gonna see Biffy Clyro on June 5th. Just thot id share.

4. miabubble

miabubble Member

download aye?

not going... will be in Greece unfortunately :)

5. JOsie

JOsie Member

once again...

DAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Ananael

Ananael Member

Download, yup! Shall be marvellous!! Oooo, Im all excited now!!

7. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

ive seen biffy clyro before and actually met the band....was quite funny as i was only wanting to go back stage to see my sis's exs band - mercury tilt switch- who were on before. and i eneded up being asked 'what does meeting biffy clyro mean to you' took great pleasure in telling them jack all!:rolleyes:

they were alright and nice guys, never made that big an impact on me though...

btw are dashboard confessional catagorised as emo?
    namaste
    x x x

8. JOsie

JOsie Member

yes...very much so...

9. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

excellent-i looooooooooove dashboard......mmmm... listening to them now...

namaste
    x x x

10. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Emo is the scene I know least about, seems to have sprung up out of nowhere. Am I right in thinking the likes of The Lost Prophets and Rasmus fall into this Emo genre? If so, how you can mention The Smiths in the same breath is beyond me :eek:

I have a theory though, that the kids that wanna rock just don't have the bands for it anymore. I'm thinking from 1996 onwards, when we had Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Supergrass et cetera. Quality British rock scene at the time if you were drunk enough.

Now those bands have all grown up, or got terrible as in Oasis' case. Blur and Radiohead are moving more into a dancy world of music and there's just no rock left. So what happens, fucking Offspring and Limp Bizkit is what happens. And it's even worse than before.

And I think people are only turning to emo because it's a slight improvememt on this crap!

11. boog

boog A square peg

Emo tend to be the style that i can least like.
    Smiths. emo?? nah thats just an evil mind comin up with that idea.
    never got oasis always have been shit. Blur did some entertaining song's, never really got the gist of radiohead either apart from a few songs to shuffle around to :)
    Went to see biffy clyro with an ex and was astounded by the poorness of it.Was told i might like dunno where they got that bloody idea from???
    I dont see the link between goth and emo at all

emo is just wanky

12. miabubble

miabubble Member

I love them... only met them 3 times though, they're really lovely... James kissed me too :D good times!

13. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

The term "Emo" has been around for about twenty years! I think it started in the early 1980s postpunk scene in America. Basically it describes post-punk bands fronted by wusses! It can mean pretty much anything now...

14. Iago

Iago Member

"Emotionally" driven rock. What the hell is that? Didn't generally music had to have an ounce of human feeling or emotion to make it artistically valid? So we have now a whole industry based around these guys hammering the crap out of there guitars with a very intense guy at the front screaming a lot. It helps people deal with their adolesent neurosis, so its good for something :), but hasn't the whole thing become entirely too proposterous? These lyricists, preaching past tales of life wrecking experiences with hideous scenarios of dying lovers, broken homes and thoughts of suicide.

Is it just me who think these people are very fucked up?

Okay, the music would not have the same impact if these bands cried their hearts out over how great life is, but where will this very commercially viable trend go from here? It seems at the moment that labels are finding good business in promoting "emo" that are being more progressively aggressive (Brand New) or ones that have more leanings in popular music (Lost Prophets). Also the classic rock feel good anthems of the Darkness and funky leanings of bands like Maroon 5 makes me wonder what is the future of popular guitar music? Any ideas?

15. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

sorry...couldn't resist...

[​IMG]