The Electric Koolaid Acid Test

Discussion in 'Drug Books' started by ElectricKoolaid, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ElectricKoolaid

ElectricKoolaid Guest

Anyone dig?
    I really knew nothing about LSD or psychedelics until this point, I was a rather sheltered child. Honestly the only reason i picked it up was because i thought the cover looked really cool! Also i was going through that rebellious stage and it looked like something that would really piss of my parents haha.
    Well this book completely opened my mind. Never had i thought that the world could be something other then the stagnant view we see of it. Tells you a lot about the overall LSD experience, through the eyes of Ken Kesey and the Marry Pranksters. Some of the first trippers. Really great read, loved it very much ! I really want to order the movie online, but my mother says it endorses drugs. God i can't wait until I'm 18.
    [​IMG]

2. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

Not bad. I can't stand Tom Wolfe, though. White suit wearing cocksnot.

3. Petrockstealer

Petrockstealer Guest

Oh my brothers, where are all those lost passages my friend told me about?

4. ChrisFromScotland

ChrisFromScotland Lang may yer lum reek

I have this book on my amazon wish list, i also have hundreds more books on my wish list which i intend on buying before this so i'll have to wait, i'm looking farward to reading it though, and btw the movies still in development yet http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=20952 so you'll have to wait yourself unfortunately, though it seems your mum has already decided this lol bad times

5. PsychonautMIA

PsychonautMIA Chimps gonna chimp

I remember picking up this book and thinking i was going to fall in love with it. I read a couple pages and forgot about it. Might go back to it later but i will read it!

6. Cleansedreality

Cleansedreality Member

My English teacher recommended it to me early in my last year of high school. I was already an established stoner and Grateful Dead fan but somehow I didn't come across the book until he told me about it..

It pretty much revolutionized how I thought people should be and act like. You should express yourself in every situation possible like the Merry Pranksters did. Each of them were fuckin' characters in their own right, and that's one of the reasons why the book was so interesting to me!

7. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

I love that book. The movie doesn't really glamourize drugs. The book in fact leaves more to the imagination. The actual Merry Pranksters were not so cute or exotic. They were, yes, profoundly important for their spreading liberated LSD culture, and for giving home to The Warlocks at their beginning.

A fun book on the topic, though sci-fi is "Summer of Love," by Lisa Mason.

8. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Love this book. Tom Wolfe is a wonderful writer.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sunshine1603

Sunshine1603 Member

I have this on my bookshelf but haven't read it yet. I'm so glad you guys like it, I'll get to it soon!

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was fortunate to have met two of the characters in the book.

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I read this right after I read Hunter Thompsons "Hells Angels."

I thought it was really cool how they both covered some of the same events through different perspectives.

I reccommend reading both. Thompson, Kesey, The Pranksters, the Dead, Tom Wolfe, the Hells Angels are all connected through these two books.

12. Orland

Orland Guest

It's a book I'd skim through again to read my favorite parts.
    I didn't know they made a movie of this, so this is fun news!

13. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Good on you for resurrecting this thread. :2thumbsup:

One correction... they didn't make a movie of this book, that is if you're refering to Magic Trip.
    EKAT is Tom Wolfes story of times he hung around the Pranksters, and the stories and films they and others shared with him while he wrote the book.
    The movie Magic Trip is a recent release, with heavy Keysey family involvement and approval, it is the best that these folks could do with all the old footage that sat around for years. The original plan of Keyseys was to make a movie about the road trip to NY and back but it never happened.

EKAT is more of an overview of Keysey and the Pranksters from Wolfes perspective, before during and after the bus trip.

14. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

I just started reading this! I'm really enjoying it so far but still not sure how I feel about Tom wolfe. He seems to have a really snobby attitude towards Kesey and the pranksters. I'm hoping that changes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

15. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I remember really liking the way Tom Wolfe described the scene.
    Appreciated that he wasn't a fanboy idolizing anyone, yet still seemed cognizant and appreciative.

In general I like Tom Wolfe and his guts for standing by his positions and defending them in the face of mindless political correctness.

NOTE: Not all 'PC" is bad, it started off to level the playing field and rid us of casual racism and homophobia, but along the way picked up a sort of mind numbing blind conformity, seems to me. What do I know?

16. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm about a 3rd through it. Love it love it love it. Most accurate descriptions of experiencing LSD I've read so far.